Actual facts needed about storm shelters being sucked out of the ground/doors failing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93turbohatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just came back from oz safe rooms. I ordered one 5x5 is 7,999 and 5x8 is 10,999. I was very impressed with these guys. They are great people are all about customer service. They don't try to rush or push onto anything. Mine is not scheduled to be installed until January. 7 other people signed up for one while I was there. They pour the cement on sight in one single pour which makes the product way safer than other shelters. Here is a pic of there display model. It is even tiled on the inside.

oz.JPG

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Channel 5 news interviewing a lady on the news now, in Moore who rode out the tornado in their shelter. Said everything was fine until the door flew off and they took in a lot of debris. They didn't show the shelter, or say whether it was above or in ground, like I'd hoped for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if there is any way to find out where that shelter is so it can be inspected for latch failure or was the latch not properly secured in a moment of panic? Anybody have a contact at that tv station?

Update: my emails to KFOR and FOX25 remain unanswered.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a video on the FlatSafe. I also keep the tools in a little bag, so that I can take the latch off.
[video=youtube_share;Edd2hU2bc60]http://youtu.be/Edd2hU2bc60[/video]

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes. Those OZ shelters are pricey. Oh well, there's no way they could put it where I want it anyway, unless they had a crane that could lift it over my house.

I just looked at the one that Steve's Wholesale Tools had out there and was not impressed. That's more the type that I'm wanting but they are cast in two halves and the door latch just looked flimsy. The seam seems like it would guarantee leaks.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in an underground outdoor cement cellar during the May 3rd, 1999 F5 tornado. I was at my SIL's house.

Bear in mind that her house as well as the entire neighborhood was probably built in the 1960s. That would also be the age of the their storm cellar.

While we were in that cellar during the F5 tornado, the tornado actually ripped the door completely off the hinges. All of the sudden I noticed daylight in our shelter. I looked up and the door was completely gone.

After it was all over, I walked through the neighborhood and noticed that ALL the doors of every storm shelter in the neighborhood were ripped off. I don't know if it was due to age of the cellar doors, the construction, or what.

It was extremely scary to see sunlight where the door once was. I'd thought about the movie "Twister" where the guy gets sucked out with the door. Actually, there was no sucking or vacuum action inside our cellar. We did get plastered with a lot of debris mainly dirt and fiberglass from insulation that blowing into the cellar once the door was gone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom