ADA range 4/22/17 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I would have known I would have brought that comp to you.
I usually just dont take pics of my targets. But I plan to go shoot tomorrow so Ill try to remember. And Ill be doing draws from holsters. Ha.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to shoot a USPSA pistol match. OKC gun club has one the first Saturday of every month. They have a half dozen or so first time shooters every month. You can shoot production which is a gun with basically no mods and an 8 round capacity. It can be a 10 round mag, but can only be loaded with 8 rounds in the mag.
It will open up your fun factor of shooting guaranteed. You can squad with me or any of the others. Once they know your a new shooter, you shoot last on stages so you can see how everybody else shoots them. You just need a holster that covers the trigger area, and enough mags to shoot a 30 or so round stage. Mag holders on a belt is a nice thing, but I shot my first with a .45 Kimber with mags in my pockets. Its a learning process. Each match has a qualifier. Its a stage set in stone that everybody has to shoot. The results are reported by the match director to the USPSA organization and tabulated to generate a ranking withing the organization if your a member. $25 a year.
Start at unranked for the first 5 matches, then your scores start accumulating.
D class up to Grand Master.
There are only a half dozen or so Grand Masters in Ok, so watching one of them shoot is pure pleasure and Impressive. It challenges you to do better.
Several of us on this board shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. Take it to the next level and see how you like it.
Thanks Dennis:
I'd love to do it but I'm not near that skill level. I've been trying to shoot at least three times a week hoping to get to that point. Getting better and hope to start working on my draw and follow up shots. I'm doing this with the aim of getting to a level where I can participate at that level.
Suggestions wanted.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I would have known I would have brought that comp to you.
I usually just dont take pics of my targets. But I plan to go shoot tomorrow so Ill try to remember. And Ill be doing draws from holsters. Ha.
Do you live close to ADA? If you're close, let's go shoot sometime. I thought you were an hour or so away. Let me know by pm and we'll get together.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can still practice elements of the draw stroke without drawing from a holster. Like starting from a low ready or count 3 of a 4 count draw stroke.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a copy of the Match rules, equipment and stages on my laptop that had a major melt down last week.
Hard drive was also destroyed and it had all the info (I don't do the cloud).
Where can I get that info? I think someone sent it to me, but don't know. What I've found on Google are upper level and I'm not upper level.
Using an old laptop now that's slow as checkout line at Walmart. Ha!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis:
I'd love to do it but I'm not near that skill level. I've been trying to shoot at least three times a week hoping to get to that point. Getting better and hope to start working on my draw and follow up shots. I'm doing this with the aim of getting to a level where I can participate at that level.
Suggestions wanted.
Everybody starts at a low skill level. The suggestions/advice one gets from experienced shooters and watching their techniques is like a free training session.
There are various apps out there that simulate a shot timer. If your practicing from the draw, its a nice tool to start the timer in random beep, and at the sound of the beep, draw and make the shot. The timer will record your time, and you can see how accurate you are at that time. You might see you need to slow down initially to maintain accuracy and as time goes along, your speed increases and your accuracy along with it.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody starts at a low skill level. The suggestions/advice one gets from experienced shooters and watching their techniques is like a free training session.
There are various apps out there that simulate a shot timer. If your practicing from the draw, its a nice tool to start the timer in random beep, and at the sound of the beep, draw and make the shot. The timer will record your time, and you can see how accurate you are at that time. You might see you need to slow down initially to maintain accuracy and as time goes along, your speed increases and your accuracy along with it.
Today I worked on my draw and fire and it needs work. Not even worrying about accuracy, just the muscle memory of the initial purchase on the grip, safe motion, presentation, firing and return to holster.
It's harder than it sounds doing it exactly the same every time. When I get this part, to a point I can't draw any other way, I'll move on to working on time and accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom