Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting75ray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry mine cocked and locked.

DO NOT buy a Fobus holster, spend money for something quality and that is safer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

Have you ever used one? Trust me I love mine and one time when exiting the truck in a hurry it got caught and I wish it would have broke. I weigh in at about 240 and when it got caught I was hanging halfway out the door with it holding me. My Defender locks in tight and fits like a glove.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever used one? Trust me I love mine and one time when exiting the truck in a hurry it got caught and I wish it would have broke. I weigh in at about 240 and when it got caught I was hanging halfway out the door with it holding me. My Defender locks in tight and fits like a glove.

Sorry my friend, they are for newbies that just don't know any better, harsh reality but it's true. Not one accredited instructor recommends them for carry that I've seen.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry my friend, they are for newbies that just don't know any better, harsh reality but it's true. Not one accredited instructor recommends them for carry that I've seen.
the only people that think fobus are good holsters are people who have never owned a good holster

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm now probably considered to be among the older generation so take this as you may. I carry a 1911 daily in a Ritchie CQQR. With the current ammunition situation this may not be popular to many but....before I carry any 1911 I trust my life to, I believe you you should shoot a number of rounds through it, 500 was always my number, to verify function and break it in if new. It helps you get a feel for the gun, practice drills, safety on holster, saftey on unholster, saftey off fire, so on, and build trust.

It is always condition 1.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my 5" kimber on condition 1 in a crossbreed holster. It took me a while to get used to it too but it's all a mind game. Depending on what brand you have there are sooo many safeties built in you have nothing to worry about. If the hammer gets pounded by Thor and falls without a trigger pull, it'll stop half way down as there is a lever attatched to the back of the trigger that only moves out of the way once the trigger is pulled. All I have to say is make sure your safety is on and invest in a nice holster that has a thumb breaker going between the hammer and firing pin just as a little more peace of mind. There has never been a proven documented case of an accidental discharge from a properly functioning 1911 so hopefully that'll ease your mind a little. Function check daily or at least once a week. Back strap safety, thumb safety, hammer lever stop, and most important, your finger will ensure no accidents.
Oh and grab yourself some federal hst+p ammo for carry. Nothing is better, check out the comparison videos online!
Policehq.com has great prices and has it in stock.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new 1911 owner. I love the pistol at the range and I'm now a hooked 1911 fan. I will have more. :)

Mine is a 4" barrel and it carrys nicely. Not only am I new to 1911's but I am new to carrying as I just recently received my license. My question is this:
For those of you who carry 1911.... how do you carry it? Is is cocked and locked or uncocked but chambered, or unchanmbered?

I know it has some redundant saftey features (which I appreciate) but for some reason I'm still a little apprehensive about carrying it cocked, chambered with safety on.

Sorry if this seems like a really NEWB question but I'd like to get opinions.

Thank you!

You are right where I was when I got my carry license. I have a Commander 1911 (Springfield LW Champion Operator) and I have an Andrews Custom Leather McDaniel II holster and belt for it. First of all,.. with a 1911,.. the holster is the most important piece of gear to accompany your 1911.

When I first started carrying my 1911, I performed a function check many times. One time it might have saved me from an accidental discharge. Springfield 1911's come with a mainspring housing that has a lock function on it. I did not want this on my carry gun so I replaced it with an Ed Brown mainspring housing. The Ed Brown MSH was just a few .001's of an inch longer than the original Springfield one. Afrer re-assembling the gun,.. I performed a function check and much to my suprise,... the gun released the hammer without the grip safety pressed in. It took me a bit to figure it out but the bottom of the grip safety was getting bound up on the top of the MSH and would not allow the grip safety to swing back and forth. So, I took the gun apart again, filed down the MSH and after 2 -3 fit tests,.. the gun functioned perfectly. This was when I realized just how safe a 1911 really is if everything is working properly.

I feel very comfortable carrying "cocked and locked" but it took me a little while. I actually don't carry my 1911 very often anymore since getting an HK P2000 but whenever I decide to carry the 1911,... I always, always perform a function check.

Go get a nice leather holster and gun belt. It will not be cheap but come on,.. it's a 1911. It deserves the best.

Good luck,

Latest posts

Top Bottom