Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that after somebody spends major bucks on a gun like a 1911, they'll buy a one-size-fits-all or Fobus POS holster to carry it in. Ridiculous.

Your gun is a very expensive tool. Show your self and your gun some respect and invest in a quality leather rig that was designed to carry your gun. Cutting corners on a cheap holster is like buying a cheap engagement ring for your fiancé. It lacks common sense and, one way or another, it will come back to bite you.
What's the most expensive condom you ever bought? $.50 or.$.75? Did it get the job done?

That's what I thought.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the most expensive condom you ever bought? $.50 or.$.75? Did it get the job done?

That's what I thought.

We're not talking Condoms, we're talking Holsters.

A HI-Point or a Glock, they booth shoot things at contact distances. Generic hot sauce or Tabasco, they both make your food hotter. Sometimes paying extra for the nice little extra things and not just the bare minimal you could ask for in an item is a GOOD thing, especially if your life could depend on it.

Listen, a $12 dollar Holster will hold your gun. If that's the BARE MINIMUM, and that is all you aim for, then you're going to get the bare minimum performance meaning it will barely hold the gun, but if you want a Holster that is fit to your specific gun and therefore carries more securely and comfortably, offers retention in all manners of circumstances, stays rigid and therefore safer longer, offers a higher level of comfort, etcetera and only requires a slightly higher investment you're better off spending money and getting quality. I spent just under $100 for my Summer Comfort 2 and it is easily the best holster I've ever owned, to the point that every handgun I own has it's own SC2.

But you don't even have to spend $100. I just bought a S&W66 that came with a Bianchi OWB and it's a wonderful fairly cheap holster.

So to return to your example, a .50 cent condom is fine as long as you expect the bare minimum, but if you require magnum size, the miniscule amount more you will spend to assure that it does not fail and resultingly forever alter your life for the worse, you'll be better off.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After carrying more and more, Ive decided I greatly prefer carrying OWB in a paddle holster over my IWB holster. I much prefer paddle than belt holsters. I had absolutely NO issues with the Fobus...none. BUT...alas I found out that I just didn't know any better. But I'm always looking to learn so I decided to take some advise and start researching some different holsters. I decided to go on and buy a SafariLand STX black Paddle/belt combo It has the ALS (automatic locking system). ITS AWESSSSOME!!!!
Rides high and tight, gun "feels" more secure, gun IS more secure, comfy and stealthy looking.
Fit and finish is excellent and it has a sweet felt lining. Holstering is easy and hitting the simple unlock button with your thumb allows for an extremely easy draw. This holster has actually brought an extra level of confidence in my carrying a weapon. This thing is really night and day difference over the Fobus. I didn't think it would be that drastic.

Thanks!!!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it fits you good and you like it ,thats good.
But think about this...a paddle holster is held on by a ..paddle, and can be yanked out and off easily.
As for the ALS, if it gets dirt in it , or you get taken down or thrown against a wall it could be damaged=gun Locked in holster
I use CB ,CompTac, and have a Don Hume PCCH, which is much like the SC2 Which will be my next purchase!
Good Luck , Cocked and locked, or carry a Glock...;)
(LOL I didnt mean that to rhyme.. ;) )

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IWB - Desantis sof-tuck

[Broken External Image]

OWB - RHS Paddle

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_310OcSYwFVL.jpg

... and *I* can't "yank it out and off easily" - the pain the wazoo getting it on and off is the one thing I really dislike about it - but then I'm one of those pear-shaped fellows so maybe it's the Dunlap that holds it in place. I also shortened it to just about 1/4" longer than my pistol.

Around $25 each. It's a holster, not a fashion statement.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said ..if it fits you and you like it then thats good,
I Have experienced "the box-o-holsters",,.single point connection doesnt distribute the weight on a heavier gun (1911)
I use a Crossbreed for those, CompTac, MTAC for the m&p and the glocks..SC2 soon to come.
Michael Brown makes some very good points on the paddle holsters, and many other members do also.
Retention , in my opinion, should be a snap strap, the button ones are too subject to failure, resulting in gun locked in holster.
Im of the pear variety also, I dont carry OWB ,because of the retention thing, or maybe Im just used to it.
Anyway ...Good Luck on your search

,"It's a holster, not a fashion statement."

Actually its a little more than that, Its a way of carrying a deadly weapon,...Safely and securely

Latest posts

Top Bottom