Advice on a Compact Tractor (35-40hp) for the homestead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for advice on buying a tractor. My main question is about price, more specifically how much can you haggle on a new tractor?
The reviews seem really good for the 35-40 hp LS tractors with hydrostatic transmissions. The Kubotas looked good but seem to have some mixed reviews and wild price variations. Kiotis have great reviews, but I've yet to see a dealer with one on the lot. With that said, does anyone have any experience with dealers around the metro? One place I've heard good things about is Wright tractors in Spencer.

Any help is appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running a 35 hp Mahindra for 8 or so years ago with a front loader. Heavier than any of the other manufacturers models, bigger frame, etc. Weight makes traction.
Comes with built in rear hydraulics where some of the others charge up to a grand to install that feature. Two speed PTO comes standard.
Buddy that is just about insane when doing comparison research chose the Mahindra a couple of years ago.
I got a good chuckle when looking at the Massey Fergusons. Price difference between a 32hp and a 35hp was almost a thousand dollars. Same engine, same everything. The only difference was the RPM. The 35 hp had 200 more top RPM to generate the extra HP.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up delaying a purchase until later this year to keep cash freed up while we're building a house. But, last summer I shopped hard for tractors in the 50 hp range.

A friend that has a haying business told me he really liked the Kioti. It ran/worked well and used half the fuel of his John Deere. He traded it for another JD because he can get parts for the JD in 30 minutes, but the Kioti could take up to two weeks. I suspect the LS could have the same issue.

Talked to several that have/had Mahindra. I got very mixed reviews. They either, like Dennis, really liked it or they hated it and had many problems.

In the under 50 hp tractors, Kubota is a solid tractor, but the dealer wanted $1K to add a rear remote. Also, if you plan to finance with the dealer, Kubota's financing came with fees that were much higher than John Deere.

Not a lot of depth, but I hope it helps.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No issues out of my 2006 Mahindra other than I've got a front right axle seal starting to weep. I've loaned it out dozen of times over the years and it came back with a broken steering column bracket weld....pretty sure that was operator error. A friend has an LS 50hp, no issues I believe it's a 2014 model. Bought in Tulsa at Sutton.

Oldman62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mahindra that has had zero problems except had to replace battery after 6 years, have owned it 10 years in june this year. Friend at work owns kabota and is happy with it. I am was taught by my grandpa along time ago when I was young, about how maintenance goes along way in how vehicles and equipment last.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Kioti ck 40 which I purchased from Wrights tractor, They no longer handle Kioti and I don't recall the name of the place in Holdenville that has them now.. I've not had to do anything but change oil/s, filters and do lube points so can't speak of much else.. I got lucky and got the 40 over the 35 for about 4k under list because they had had it for a spell.. There should be another Kioti dealer in the metro that was well received but wrights gave me the best price.. The only down fall to the new is this new pollution control , you can work around it but it is a nuisance..

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I honestly hadn't looked at any of the newer mahindras, I might have to go get eyes on them after this mess passes. I have all but ruled out deere though, because I had heard that the smaller jds are just rebranded/marked up yanmars.
Another question, do you guys prefer to get the attachments at time of purchase or shop around after the fact? I've noticed that dealers do not tend to list their prices for most attachments.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I honestly hadn't looked at any of the newer mahindras, I might have to go get eyes on them after this mess passes. I have all but ruled out deere though, because I had heard that the smaller jds are just rebranded/marked up yanmars.
Another question, do you guys prefer to get the attachments at time of purchase or shop around after the fact? I've noticed that dealers do not tend to list their prices for most attachments.

I bought implements used off CL and saved a good bit of $$.. When I bought the tractor I "pitted" the dealers against each other, I bought Kioti because I know 3 others with them and it's where I got the most bang for the buck, I considered near all the colors.. Yanmars were nice but were the highest priced at the time.. I suggest test driving all that your able to so that you feel the cockpit and controls.. You most definitely want a hydrostat..

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve owned 1 JD 30hp and 3 Kubotas, and I still have two of the Kubotas...a 1996 L2900 and a 2001 L3010. My advice is to never buy new and watch Craigslist or FB Markerplace. There are deals to be had. I drove from Texas to Midwest City to buy one of my Kubotas.

I have a Kubota M7040 at my place up there, and it was several years old with only 450 hours on it. I paid about half what it cost when new. It was a Craigslist find and is my favorite tractor I’ve ever owned. My L3010 is my second favorite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom