Advice on child's first gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started my youngest son on a cricket .22 and a single action .22. I tried him on a semi-auto first and all he wanted to do was empty the magazine as fast as he could. With the single shot and single action, he had to slow down and aim.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CZ 452 Scout .22 LR.

Great iron sights, can be upgraded with optics, start with it in single shot mode with the magazine block, later add a five or ten round magazine.

Teach them to be safe, how to load, unload, clear the weapon, and to place each round on target where they want it to go.

Once they master the bolt gun, move to a Ruger 10/22 with 10 round magazines. Its all about safety-safety-safety.

centraloklahoma

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CZ 452 Scout .22 LR.

Great iron sights, can be upgraded with optics, start with it in single shot mode with the magazine block, later add a five or ten round magazine.

Teach them to be safe, how to load, unload, clear the weapon, and to place each round on target where they want it to go.

Once they master the bolt gun, move to a Ruger 10/22 with 10 round magazines. Its all about safety-safety-safety.

centraloklahoma

I agree with this, the CZ is an outstanding rifle. A .22 will always be useful and he'll keep it forever. I think he will learn to appreciate accuracy over rate of fire.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he will learn to appreciate accuracy over rate of fire.

That's exactly what happened with me.

If my Pop would have gifted me with a Nylon 66 like I was begging for,,,
I would have ran out of ammo on the first day of my allowance,,,
And I never would have learned to aim and hit a target.

It would be a rare kid indeed who had that self-discipline on his own,,,
It's up to the parent to promote the virtue of slow aimed fire.

I think the reason I see so many kids with tricked out Rugers,,,
Or shooting the many AR styled .22 rifles nowadays,,,
Is Pop buys his kid the gun Pop wants. :wink2:

Besides in today's rimfire ammunition market,,,
A kid needs to practice some restraint,,,
One Shot-One Hit is a learned virtue.

Aarond

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CZ 452 Scout .22 LR.

centraloklahoma

The CZ is a fantastic rifle. CZ even offers a 1 round magazine.
Sports World in Tulsa frequently has the Marlin single shot .22 for around $100. I bought a couple for my nephews and nieces. If the price isn't a big factor I'd go with the CZ. It's a keeper.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a shotgun I suggest you look at the youth yildiz over/under. My son is 13 now and I bought him a single shot 2 barrel 20/22lr rossi when he was 11. The issue was not the kick as much as the weight. Then gun was too heavy for him to use without a rest. The yildiz is very light and will last him years. I also like the safety aspect of the over under. The gun is carried open all the time it is not in use. It is stored in 2 pieces. I just think it is safer.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger 10/22. He'll shoot it the rest of his life. Unlike a single shot.
Mossberg 500 Super Bantam. Even though I'm a Remington fan this is the most youth friendly shotgun IMO. Single shots hurt. My 13 y.o. girl has an 870 youth and it's still a little long. More for small statured adults.
Mossberg ATR Super Bantam .243. Also bought one for daughter and it is also very youth friendly. Also a great shooter. She's taken 5 deer with it. One at 250 yds.

Being an 11 y.o. boy, don't rule out an AR. You'd get BadAss Dad of the Year Award.

Latest posts

Top Bottom