Aerial speeding patrols in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In many places in OK you can spot those white markers on the ground that police use to track speeders. But when is the last time police actually used these? Are they just a relic now?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got tagged for just a few over a number of years ago, got pulled over and got a warning, trooper told me it was an airborne that got me. I want to say I was 10 over - but breathed a sigh of relief that plane didn't see me a few miles prior, it would have been very, very ugly.

I'm gonna say this was 2013 or so.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
speed.jpg

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got pulled over with one in early 2007 right around the weigh station on 35 at Davisish. The trooper made it a point to point out the OHP painted prop plane circling us.
Second of three times I was given a warning going exactly 87 in a 70. I slowed down after that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak to the marker you mention and showed, but in some other states, they put markings on highways to "calibrate or certify" equipment that is surveying their road and pavement conditions.

Years ago, there were some states that simply had a white line (roughly 8 inches wide) across the paved shoulder. (Texas comes to mind.) It could have been for aircraft to use to get a driver's speed. If I remember right, there would be something like 6 marks in a mile, which would allow an observer in a plane to "verify" a previously observed speed. However, those markings weren't on each and every mile, so I don't see how effective they would be. A pilot would have to keep circling to see those lines and that would be a give-away to wary drivers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom