after yesterday we are going to take some cpr,first aid classes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there we all are yesterday standing on the sidelines at my daughters soccer match. Our team shoots the ball, it hits the keeper in the chest, deflects right back at our players feet and BAM we score! YAY! Oh whats going on? The keeper is down? Refs and coaches go to check her out, she has the wind knocked out of her which triggered a panic attack that triggered her asthma. Then the screams to dial 911 and does anyone know CPR came. This girl stopped breathing 3xs before paramedics responded. It was terrible to stand there and feel like I should be doing something but not knowing what to do. My husband has never been interested in doing any kind of first aid training etc this was a wake up call for him and one for me to stop putting things off. Our daughter has asthma it could have been her and we would have been relying on someone else to save her and that is unacceptable to both of us.

Being prepared is not only about an apocalyptic world ending scenario. And I hate it when people act like thats all it is.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Great skills to have, adds a little stress to a stressful situation when it's a young person........especially to those who aren't prepared. Go find a EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) class. It's a step up from a first aid/cpr class, way more skills time practice and real life situation practice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thing to learn, and keep up with. Almost lost my youngest son when he was 3.
He took a drink of my tea, and got an ice cube lodged in his throat. (Before the Hemlich maneuver)
He was blue. Hadn't taken a breath in over 2 minutes, so I did the only thing I knew to do, which was to shove it on down he's throat with my finger.
Worked! Started breathing and crying.
My whole family took CPR training after that.
Fast forward a few years, when the grandkids were born, we all took it again. Techniques have changed over the years.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone should take a cpr class. It's a skill you'll wish you had when you need it.
Ive had to do it three times now, one survived two did not. Still feel some guilt for not being able to help them. Can't imagine how I'd feel had I not being able to try.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes! My oldest had asthma. Thank goodness he outgrew it as he got older.

I think you will find that you probably know more than you think you do. But after you finish your classes that you will feel more confident about your ability to help out in situations like this. And you will definitely learn a lot ... Good for you for deciding to be proactive!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pray you never have to give full blown CPR to some guy with dentures that just ate a bunch of refried beans at Golden Corral. Not a fun Sunday morning.. Trust me on that one!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was smart enough to swallow a hand full of coins when I was 3 or 4. I choked, couldnt breath. My grand father scooped me up by my heels and started shaking. All good now. I just cant account for 13 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom