after yesterday we are going to take some cpr,first aid classes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone should take a cpr class. It's a skill you'll wish you had when you need it.
Ive had to do it three times now, one survived two did not. Still feel some guilt for not being able to help them. Can't imagine how I'd feel had I not being able to try.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Don't. Nothing to feel guilty about. You tried. Over the course of almost 30 years on the FD I've done CPR on hundreds of people and only seen two that ever made it out of the ER.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't. Nothing to feel guilty about. You tried. Over the course of almost 30 years on the FD I've done CPR on hundreds of people and only seen two that ever made it out of the ER.

IIRC less than 5% of witnessed cardiac arrest patients recover................I've seen one full recovery in 10 years.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good friend of mine of is an OKC firefighter and he has had similar experiences. I think that's why it's so important for as many folks as possible to know CPR, you need somebody that can get started right away. This is a good reminder that I need to go take a certification class, I haven't been certified in like 15 years, what I know may be obsolete now and I'd likely be too terrified to attempt it in some scenarios.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a class! I did the basic EMT class when it first came out in the mid-70's. Taken the full class 3 times since then. Done CPR now more times then I remember. Cept for one. In the boarding area at Sky Harbor Airport in PHX. Waiting on a flight back to Alaska. Saw a gentleman that didn't look to well. He then slumped over on the floor. Myself, my wife and another Alaska Air employee did CPR on him for 15 minutes. Even after the paramedics got there they said we were doing a good job and to keep going while they got their equipment ready. Flew back to Alaska and didn't know his conditon. About 3 weeks later Alaska Airlines flew all of us back to PHX and the City and Fire Dept. presented us with the LifeSaving Award.

Take the class, be confident about your skills and don't be afraid to act when the time calls for action.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a class! I did the basic EMT class when it first came out in the mid-70's. Taken the full class 3 times since then. Done CPR now more times then I remember. Cept for one. In the boarding area at Sky Harbor Airport in PHX. Waiting on a flight back to Alaska. Saw a gentleman that didn't look to well. He then slumped over on the floor. Myself, my wife and another Alaska Air employee did CPR on him for 15 minutes. Even after the paramedics got there they said we were doing a good job and to keep going while they got their equipment ready. Flew back to Alaska and didn't know his conditon. About 3 weeks later Alaska Airlines flew all of us back to PHX and the City and Fire Dept. presented us with the LifeSaving Award.

Take the class, be confident about your skills and don't be afraid to act when the time calls for action.

+1!

I've been thinking about enrolling in the basic EMT class for this purpose.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tip her head back and jaw forward. If that doesn't help, if one wants to take a risk, they can do an emergency trach and do a cut below the cricoid cartilage and insert something tubular in order for the patient to breath-it is scary but when blood gushes out it is a good sign-it is expelling air and they can inhale. I have heard that the bottom part of a ball point pen will work and will give enough air until competent medical authorities arrive. There are risks, a lot-but if it is emergent I'd do it to save a life. I hope we don't have to ever do this!

Latest posts

Top Bottom