Age can't dull dog's love for the hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
by: KELLY BOSTIAN Outdoors
Tuesday, January 04, 2011
1/4/2011 7:39:59 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PEOPLE RECOMMEND introducing a hunting retriever to swimming in nice warm water when they are well ready for the new experience, but my dog was born in Fairbanks, Alaska.

One spring day, when she was about 6 months old, she ignored my calls and went charging into a river slough that still had pans of ice floating in it. Oblivious to the cold, she ran through the water and jumped at the ice and chased around the chunks.

If, as they say, baptism is water for your soul, then my old dog is baptized of ice water. I'd say it runs in her veins, but her gentle manner and warm eyes would belie that statement.

Tag is retired, for all intents and purposes. She celebrated her 13th birthday on Sept. 3, which makes her 91 in dog years, and that's plenty old enough to deserve as much rest, relaxation and table scraps as she wants. Well, maybe not all the table scraps she wants, but at least a few more than she used to get.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Read the rest: http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20110104_29_B2_ULNSaK153355

Worth the click, I guarantee!

Latest posts

Top Bottom