Aim small, hit small!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea is simple. I start by placing the crosshairs on the top center of the paper. I aim at nothing in particular on the first shot, other than the top center of the paper. I fire one round, reload, then place the scope's crosshairs over the hole made by the first round. This is my aiming point for the second shot. Shots three, four, and five are made the same way, using the hole made by the previous shots as my aiming point. I then hold just under the previous group on the paper, aiming again for the center of the paper, and again fire a five shot group, using the hole made by the first round of the group as my aiming point for the next four rounds. Five, 5 shot groups are fired in this way, from top to bottom on the paper, from the bench, at 50 yards, with the rifle pictured. Anschutz 54.18 MS with a BR-24 Leupold target scope. The pictured target is approx. 3" x 7".

SANY1065.JPG

SANY1185.JPG

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the numbers (group size measured outside-to-outside at the widest point, minus bullet diameter, reading left-to-right on the paper): .174", .104", .276", .156", .270", for a five shot, 5 group average of .196". Best five consecutive 5 shot groups I've ever shot.

SANY1192.JPG

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! That BR-24x Leupold scope really comes into its own when shooting at a plain white background (the crosshairs are so fine they get lost on a black bull or on targets with grid lines on it). It is a bear to adjust for a given distance, but once set it is an amazing scope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom