Air Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a gamo hunter refurb from Natchez a couple months ago. They are pretty cheap.

It looks like new, has nice fiber optic iron sights and shoots accurately, hard.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=GNZR009854R&src=exrbSrch

They also have a couple scoped models but I wanted a wood stock.

what constitutes a "good" air rifle is different for folks just getting started vs airgun folks that's been around for awhile and has tried several air guns.

one doesn't have to pay $1,500+ for a good one, although lots of Airgun owners do. high end airgun costs about the same as high end rifles that shoot bullets.

it's quite possible to buy an excellent used airgun for about $100-$300, but unlikely you will find it without help. the best place to post questions is the Yellow forums.

most of the low cost airguns are made in China and are crudely constructed. air rifles are an excellent way to get trigger time. but your airgun trigger has to be on par with your regular rifle's trigger.

my normal deer rifle .. Weatherby .270 trigger is set to 1lb 8oz ... so my air rifle triggers are also set to 1lb 8oz. there's a world of difference between low end airgun made in China vs German airguns with world class Reckord triggers.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Crosman 597 (.177 model) that I paid about $150 for. The trigger's not the best, but I use that as a training opportunity. It is very accurate, as opposed to several different break-over models that I've tried. I've killed a ton of pests with it, including several squirrels. I'd recommend one to anybody looking for a good air rifle.

The one issue with this model is that it's not really designed to be scoped. You can do it, but I've chosen not too.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I have a Crosman 597 (.177 model) that I paid about $150 for. The trigger's not the best, but I use that as a training opportunity. It is very accurate, as opposed to several different break-over models that I've tried. I've killed a ton of pests with it, including several squirrels. I'd recommend one to anybody looking for a good air rifle.

The one issue with this model is that it's not really designed to be scoped. You can do it, but I've chosen not too.

I really want to pick up a crossman 1077(.177 co2 repeater revolver with double action trigger 10/22 clone) and throw some studs and a GI sling on it to practice(very cheaply) for Appleseeds on 12ft scaled down AQT targets. It can be scoped and some of the bulk air mods you can do to these are pretty sweet. Don't think it's good for getting anything bigger than a rat though, which brings me to this:

[video=youtube_share;brL_dgOXI7s]http://youtu.be/brL_dgOXI7s[/video]

Of course, just my luck, Midway doesn't have the 1077 on sale during this air gun sale. :nolike:

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .22 caliber RWS model 52 that I bought from Straight Shooters a few years ago. It's got plenty of power, but you can't kill a possum with it if you're using the cheap wadcutter Daisy pellets from Wal-Mart (learned that the hard way). Have to use heavier pellets. I bought a pellet sampler when I bought the gun and got the best results with the heavier pellets, so I bought a few tins of Beeman Kodiaks, which it really likes.

One thing I did learn is that RWS is imported by Umarex. Umarex's customer service is terrible. My gun broke within just a few days of getting it due to a bad part. I emailed Umarex and they told me "Well, too bad, you shouldn't have broken it. It will cost $18 plus shipping for a replacement part." I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of that idea, emailed RWS corporate headquarters in Germany and told them how terrible their US distributor was, and then ordered something I could use to make about 6 replacement parts from MSC Direct for about $10 and did the repair myself. A few weeks later, I got a package containing the replacement part I needed at no charge, but by then I had already made the repair using the parts I purchased and no longer needed it. I set it aside (somewhere, not sure where) and haven't needed it since.

For those of you wanting to scope an airgun, it can get tricky if you're using a spring piston or gas ram gun, even if they're fairly low power guns. Because of the way airguns recoil (both back like a firearm and forward, unlike a firearm), they tend to tear up most scopes. You need a scope designed for airgun use, which means you can't just grab whatever scope you want off the shelf at Wal-Mart and be good to go. According to a rep I emailed back and forth with from BSA, everything they make is rated for use on a magnum powered spring piston airgun, so if you must grab something from Wal-Mart, BSA is your safest bet. Otherwise, do your research before you buy a scope for your airgun.

The pre-charged pneumatics don't have the same problem and you can put whatever scope you want on them.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
reviving this thread because I just acquired a gamo whisper g2. I've decided it would probably be an excellent thing to have in a megashtf and I'm having to hunt varmints tool and just a good practice tool without having to burn massive amounts of ammo$$.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular rifle/model.
I've never owned an "air gun" besides bb guns when we were kids and that just doesn't compare.
I'm also weirdly struggling with accepting this as a 'real' rifle. IDK why and yes I have seen the videos and photos of their capabilities and of course still practice gun safety but still for some reason its just not the same, It feels real, there is some weight to it and it doesn't feel at all like a toy? I just can't explain it, prob cause it doesn't go bang very loud....
:scratch::hithead::anyone:

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just aquired a Sheridan pump rifle and a Benjamin pump pistol. Both new or like new if anyones interested. No pic's with me. Guns at the house.

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a crosman that barrel cocks. It sets in my office at my shop. I shoot at small circles on a sheet of plywood at about 20 yards inside my building.

Latest posts

Top Bottom