ak 74 muzzle break

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to put an ak 74 muzzle break on my 7.62 ak. I found a Tapco one and it says it is for 14x1 LH which is what my threads are. It doesn't say if it will fit. It says it is for ak 74 and ak 47. I just don't wan to buy it and put it on my rifle and shoot it and get hurt. Any ideas? Kvar has one but I ain't paying $60 for one. Thanks

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried a few, and prefer the PWS FSC47 for good compensation and moderate flash control. The J-tac by PWS is supposed to be pretty good as well, but I haven't tried it. You should take a look at what PWS has to offer. Also a bit of information:

FSC47:
weight - 2 oz
length - 2.1 inches

Tapco 74 style:
weight - 5.2 oz
length - 3"

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those tapco style muzzle brakes sort of work. But they're no where near close to how the actual authentic AK74 muzzle breaks are designed.

Typically the Tapco and cheaper knock offs will have the port cut evenly. The material on top of the brake where the ports are is identical to the bottom of the brake. There will be 2 or more holes on each side of the port facing the back of the front "wall" of the brake. They will also have 2 ports directly on top directly in line of each other.

See this picture.

TAAK0679.jpg

Real AK74 brakes are different in that the front side ports are cut so that both are angled slightly up in a V shape. If you look at the material at the top VS the bottom, the bottom will be wider. Also, instead of 2 holes on each side, it's either a zigzag slit or a crescent shaped slit that faces the back of the front "wall" of the brake. On top of the brake, 3 port holes are drilled staggered to time the brake to how the AK recoils. Real AK74 brakes are also chrome lined.

See this picture for an example of an authentic "zigzag" brake.

jakesgunreviews.weebly.com_uploads_8_0_6_8_8068894_429394096.j359a150810f2e5832352fe4cefff437c.jpg

The Tapco style brake works better than nothing and works better than the slant brake. Worth it if you can get it cheap, especially under $10. With that said, true AK74 brakes perform much better and are actually built specifically and timed to handle the AK74 recoil pattern. Finding chrome lined Bulgarian AK74 brakes can be expensive and may cause you to not be 922r compliant again. The only other alternative is to buy a US made brake from Arsenal, who is currently the only US manufacturer who makes an authentic clone of a true AK74 style brake. Because of that, it's a little pricey. With that said, I have to chuckle when people consider it pricey when the average muzzle brake for AR's are usually upwards of $80+ hehe.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Soft Air Kalashnikov AK74 SU AEG Full Metal Body Electric Soft Air Gun, Brown Black
what are you talking about? This isn't a forum about air rifles. We use the real thing. Go troll somewhere else. And to the rest of yall, thanks for the help and input. I just ordered the Tapco. I actually like the way my century break works. It actually works very well. I just really like the looks of the 74 break. I have heard from a few people that the Tapco works fine. Maybe if I want a really good one I will check out the ones yall recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom