AK Build Class !?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am posting to see if there is sufficient interest to warrant the effort and money to conduct this class. Class is limited to 10 per class but will do multiple classes if necessary.

The purpose of this course is to provide knowledge to persons interested in building Kalashnikov rifles (AKM, AK74). Participants will build their rifle, test fire, zero according to soviet doctrine, and prove rifle at 300m. Cost of the class will depend upon the type of rifle the individual choses to build, but a standard fixed stock rifle built with nitride treated barrel, matching serial number parts kit with appropriate 922r compliant parts, and commercially manufactured receiver (NoDak, McKay, etc...) will be in the $800 range. Final costs depend upon the cost of parts at the time of order (prices are going up), range fees, and shop space rental.

Last year we hosted 2 Rifle Dynamics build classes which cost $1900 per student. We did this specifically to bring the knowledge and capability to Oklahoma. Rifle Dynamics did a fantastic job and we are grateful for their assistance and friendship. But our mission is to get this out to as many good men and women as possible. Its our way of protecting our second amendment rights. A rifle behind every blade of grass.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on my financial ability at the tone of the class (and its location), I would be interested. So, I'm subscribing for future information. :-)

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure I'm clear what parts are provided in the cost, and what part kits a participant would need to buy before show up?

as stated " a standard fixed stock rifle built with nitride treated barrel, matching serial number parts kit with appropriate 922r compliant parts, and commercially manufactured receiver (NoDak, McKay, etc...)" in simplest terms everything for a complete, legally built, fixed stock rifle. Participants could choose to build variations with different furniture, rail, folding stock, etc but those all add to the cost.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So OTD if building a standard fixed stock rifle would be approx $800, including cost of class (+ shop rental and range fees)?

Yup. AKM (7.62) kits are typically Polish and have wood furniture or metal under folding stock. AK74 (5.45) kits are Bulgarian and wood or composite is available. I don't do Yugos or AMDs.

Some info about build options and their approximate additional parts costs: (exact price quotes cannot be given until payment is made and kits ordered. Prices and availability do fluctuate somewhat)

Side folding stocks require additional parts and are not cheap. Metal triangle side folder is an additional $184 plus shipping. Composite side folding stocks (are not always available due to import issues) and cost additional $254 plus shipping. These two options have to be built into the gun and cannot be done or changed afterward.

The following options can be done during the build or anytime afterwards.

Ultimak gas tube rail (allows co-witness with red dot) $98 plus shipping

Magpul composite furniture
Fixed stock $59
Side folding stock $99
Hand guard long $39 short $99
Pistol grip $25

Parts come with standard original finishes. I do have the capability to refinish parts (re-parkerizing) and/or using Alumahyde II. This however requires additional time/work on your part and the cost of the Alumahyde II (approx $13 per can).

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do an AK build class for a while. I will set the money aside for this. I hope it comes together. When there is an official sign up, PLEASE let me know.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested based on timing. Any time frame window you were thinking about?

PS - would whatever receiver you provide be guaranteed to be within spec? I've had a Nodak which I found to be out of spec after completion (weld build - ugh).

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested based on timing. Any time frame window you were thinking about?

PS - would whatever receiver you provide be guaranteed to be within spec? I've had a Nodak which I found to be out of spec after completion (weld build - ugh).

Participants will purchase their own receivers from local FFL which will allow me to avoid the headache of doing the transfers. I have not used Nodak in a while because of less expensive, high quality alternatives. I personally have never come across a Childers, NoDak, Morrissey, McKay, or AK74 LLC that was out of spec. I have seen people who screwed up making their own from flats. So the receiver you purchase carries only the guarenttee of the manufacturor. At some point I might offer folks the chance to learn to make one from a flat but not in this class.

As to the timeframe...that depends on you guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom