AK Build Class !?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suggestions on receiver to buy? With or without trunion holes? I am wanting a fixed stock. Possibly a 5.45mm gun instead of 7.62

Atlantic Firearms has receivers for around $60. They are currently out of stock but they will have more soon. With our Without trunnion holes doesn't matter. Typically with holes will cost more so save your money and go without. Either way, in the class, you will learn methods to drill trunnion holes.

What is important is you select the correct receiver for caliber AKM 7.62 or AK74 5.45. NO 5.56, not building those for number of reasons.

If you are wanting to build a side folder using the metal triangle stock or composite stock you will have to by the receiver for the side folder. Side folder trunnion and stock will cost about $200 more in parts. Magpul Zhukov, Tapco, and other aftermarket folding stocks are made for use with standard fixed stock receiver. Price and quality vary greatly.

Polish Tantals are not interchangeable and we are not building them in these classes as of yet.

If you have any questions or doubts please PM me before buying.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What parts kits will be used?

Polish AKM 7.62 kits or Bulgarian AK74 5.45 kits. This is due to quality, cost, and availability. Other kits are out there, namely Russian, German, Romanian (Romy G), and Egyptian. They are however much more expensive due to import bans and scarcity. You're welcome to build any of these if you wish to pay the added expense and we can find them.

I do not yet do Polish Tantal, Yugo or AMD builds.

Barrels can be steel, chrome lined, or nitride treated. I prefer nitride due to the longevity and accuracy. Some cold hammer forged barrels are out there for more money. Personally I don't feel they are worth it. But builders are free to choose for themselves.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Q: "Can my son and I attend together building 1 rifle or do I have to take a second spot in the class?"

A: If you are building 1 rifle then that is 1 spot in the class and 1 fee. I certainly welcome parent and child doing this together. Or spouses doing it together. I think that's great. The goal as stated is getting as many good people exercising their 2A rights in the most economical and responsible manner. To equip participants with the material and knowledge to protect what we hold most dear.

I only ask that any children attending with their parent be mature enough to participate and follow directions. I reserve the right at any time to ask that children be removed or merely observe if it becomes a distraction or safety issue for the class, and adults too for that matter.

NOTICE: During the test fire, zeroing, and known distance shooting (proving rifle) VERY STRICT safety measures will be used, the line will be run using clear and concise range commands, NO safety violations will be tolerated.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks, the first class is filling up and more importantly parts kits are drying up. If you are wanting to do this class you need sign up ASAP so I can order your parts while they are still available. You can sign up and put down the money for the parts kits so I can get them and pay the balance later. PM with questions or to get signed up.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In response to some questions regarding the newly manufactured Polish parts kits.

1. they are not any cheaper
2. there have been reports of failures of the front trunnion
3. I personnel have not built one of these kits (YET!)

Until I have all my questions satisfactorily answered about their front trunnion and build/test one myself I will not use them in any build classes. The Polish and Bulgarian kits we are using are demilled rifles produced between 1960-1980s. They are proven and will outlast all of us if even remotely cared for...I am getting parts kits with matching numbers whenever and wherever I can.

Additionally due to what I am hearing about the availability and costs of kits I am going to get spun up to do Polish Tantal, Yugo, and AMD kits to help more folks if needed.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Additionally due to what I am hearing about the availability and costs of kits I am going to get spun up to do Polish Tantal, Yugo, and AMD kits to help more folks if needed.

Does this mean these will be covered in this class or a future class?

Latest posts

Top Bottom