AK Build Party (Interest???)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can volunteer my garage for the build party. I spoke to the wifey and got the okay. Sometime a few weeks out would be good for me, maybe in the middle of June. I don't think I will have room for more than 10-12 people. It is just a two car garage. I live near 71st. and memorial. We may need to start an i'm in head count and take the first dozen or so.

mullinator79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like we have a location! Hopefully dak can show to help out too. He had some good suggestions like everyone bringing their own drill bits. If mine break or get dull then the build day is toast. Extra build tools will definitely be a big plus!!!. He is right that drilling virgin barrels will take some time, but if we stay focused I think we can get alot done with a group of 10-12.
I can volunteer my garage for the build party. I spoke to the wifey and got the okay. Sometime a few weeks out would be good for me, maybe in the middle of June. I don't think I will have room for more than 10-12 people. It is just a two car garage. I live near 71st. and memorial. We may need to start an i'm in head count and take the first dozen or so.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, mid to late June is probably best for myself and mullinator79. Keep watching the thread for the next week or so and we will come up with a firm date.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in so long as my schedule allows once we get the date set in stone. Should we limit the number to 5-10 to allow for more to get done?

We'll probably need to start building a list of what everyone should bring. What about the actual kits. Should we decide a particular one so everything will be same? I'm in MWC so I'll be traveling. Will this build take two days or can this be finished in one day?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should we limit the number to 5-10 to allow for more to get done?

We'll probably need to start building a list of what everyone should bring. What about the actual kits. Should we decide a particular one so everything will be same? I'm in MWC so I'll be traveling. Will this build take two days or can this be finished in one day?

I have never built an AK so I can't speak on the amount of time it takes. If those of you who have think 10-12 is to many we can always scale it back a bit. I just know my garage is not capable of holding more than a dozen guys, and that would be full to capacity.

I personally won't be building a rifle that day. I can't spend the money now after I just purchased a new pistol. However, I do want to learn the process for future builds I plan on doing. I am not opposed to some people coming over for spectators' sake. I was hoping to do the same myself. We just need to put together a list of those wanting to build and a few who just want to hang out. I don't want to leave out the ones wanting to build though, so if we run out of room in the build column we may just have to leave it at that. Maybe we can schedule another build party toward the end of the year. I don't mind hosting an event every 6 months or so, assuming mulllinator79 is up for it.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never built a flat... I never thought it was worth the investment of a spot welder + bending jigs for what I wanted to do but I've built a handful on 100% receivers.

I can bring all of my press tools but not a press so I doubt they would be needed unless someone wrangles up another press. I can bring my bench top drill press and 7.62x39 headspace gauges. I don't really have a kit to be built right now either aside from one I'm waiting for the tax stamp on. I do have an Egyptian kit but no barrel for it. Though maybe I could bend a flat and learn something too :)

Hopefully I can make it but I don't really know my schedule right now.

akshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any extra help is needed, I have built a couple of ak-47 and ak-74. I have a shop press, bench drill press, rivet smasher, and home-made barrel pressing tools. Dont forget a big vise and a big freakin hammer. Have always built mine in pre-made recievers tho, never bent mine own. Virgin barrels will take longer but not undoable. Also have 5.45 go an nogo gauges.

Lotsa drill bits are needed, u will break twice as many as u think you will. A grinder will be good if your kits arent already demilled. Electric drills also. If I can be any help jus let me know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom