AK Build Party (Interest???)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozerjoe

Marksman
Reaction score
where do you guys get the flats. i know several offer them but where would you suggest? i dont mean to ask dumb questions but im kinda lost when i get to looking at all the parts from different places. i dont want to order stuff i dont need.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive the dumb question and it may have already been covered but do you have to do a transfer when you buy the flat? whats the deal with building one of these in the ATF's eyes? when and do you have to do any paperwork on one?

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive the dumb question and it may have already been covered but do you have to do a transfer when you buy the flat? whats the deal with building one of these in the ATF's eyes? when and do you have to do any paperwork on one?

It's not transferring to anyone. You buy it, you bend it, you build it. A build party is just to walk you through doing a build, not to do it for you.

If you ever sell a firearm that you built from scratch like on a flat you're supposed to engrave it with the manufacturer's (your) info, I wouldn't risk the liability of selling something like that. Even then, 4473s aren't required for private transfers.

mullinator79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
where do you guys get the flats. i know several offer them but where would you suggest? i dont mean to ask dumb questions but im kinda lost when i get to looking at all the parts from different places. i dont want to order stuff i dont need.

I would suggest flats from AK-Builder.com We can do tapco and others but my jig is an ak-builder jig and has alignment pins for ak-builder flats. From what I've read, other flats will require manual alignment of the flats in the jig thru measurement. I've also welded my own flat bending jigs out of angle iron and bar stock with success... but I wore it out i.e. bent it :(. The ak-builder flat bending jig makes the most beautiful bends!

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet, I figured they would consider the flat a firearm like they do lowers.

If you purchase a 100% receiver from a dealer or a company like Nodak Spud then it would require transfer like an AR lower because it's considered a firearm.

An AK flat is a flat piece of metal with cutouts and stampings done to it that you're bending and then spotwelding the lower rails/ejector onto to make it a 100% receiver. It's not considered a firearm until it's bent.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still looking for those interested in actually building a rifle. This is still happening on the 25th of this month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom