AK Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an aftermarket magwell system for standard AKMs similar to what the vepr 12 has? I know my saiga 12 rock n lock style mags go straight in and work fine in my vepr12. Why not something like that for standard AK mags?

I have really been digging me some AR here lately (I know...I know) and the more I work with them the more aware I am of the many shortcomings of the AK.

I know some people actually prefer the rock n lock but I do not.

I just do not like .223. Only black rifles I'd consider would be something like the Faxon ARAK or the Robinson XCR.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, the AR drawbacks are the .223 caliber, and the short stroke piston. Had they all been piston driven like the later developed AR18 and a larger caliber like 6.5, 6.8, or 7.62 nato (which would undoubtedly reduce the cost of those rounds)...it would be perfect.

I think the AK is really strong where the AR is weak and vice versa...probably why you get a lot of one or the other types.

I had a SCAR 17 which is to me the king of civilian battle rifles as of current. Ergonomics of the AR in 7.62 NATO. Piston driven and lighter than the AR10. Ended up selling it because I could literally have 4 AKs or ARs for the price of 1 SCAR. They just aren't worth it to me.

Sorry for completely deviating from the thread topic.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To me, the AR drawbacks are the .223 caliber, and the short stroke piston. Had they all been piston driven like the later developed AR18 and a larger caliber like 6.5, 6.8, or 7.62 nato (which would undoubtedly reduce the cost of those rounds)...it would be perfect.

I think the AK is really strong where the AR is weak and vice versa...probably why you get a lot of one or the other types.

I had a SCAR 17 which is to me the king of civilian battle rifles as of current. Ergonomics of the AR in 7.62 NATO. Piston driven and lighter than the AR10. Ended up selling it because I could literally have 4 AKs or ARs for the price of 1 SCAR. They just aren't worth it to me.

Sorry for completely deviating from the thread topic.

Yup, the Scar is awesome but too damn pricey. Same goes for the ACR. And you're right, the modular aspect of the black rifles over the AK definitely swings in favor for the black rifles but the AK can get it done. A mount, a rail and a scope and you're very well equipped with a 300 meter, reliable battle rifle.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a debate all in itself but I personally would prefer a larger caliber. when I said its a drawback I meant that its a drawback IMO...not that it was general consensus. Its similar to the .45 vs 9mm debate that will continue forevers with both sides having strong arguments.

556 and 762x39 are both equally effective, tho they create different types of wounds. The problem with these debates is that no one take into account all the factors that go into them

That's especially true when it comes to 556 vs 762 as well as 45 vs 9mm

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in the market for an AK...I would buy a mak-90 and 922r that b*tch then put the correct furniture on it. Probably be easiest to find an early b-west import that already has the cleaning rod and threaded barrel end. If you wanted a bayo lug just that bad you could have a welder build up "ear" material that they ground off until the bayo locks...hit with some vans cold blue and be good to go.

Buy the mak right and you will have a bad to the bone AK for a grand or less.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now, I found the C39 V2. I'm digging it and Atlantic has them in stock. Only thing that bothers me is the lack of the side mount for a rail. It looks like there's other mounting options out there but I'm unsure of those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom