Alaska Bear Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning an Alaska trip in the next couple years to hunt caribou or moose or ??? I've been wanting a .41 mag to use for a back up gun and found a S&W 657 last week with 6" barrel. I snatched it up and really like it. Just wondering if any of you other guys had been to Alaska and if you carried a sidearm and what you carried?

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy was stationed at Elmondorf and he used to carry a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with a 5.5 inch barrel. Not sure on the ammo though. He never liked rifles much so his long arm for bear defense was a shotgun with some Dixie slugs.

He never needed them though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the problem with the pistol may be getting it there.
a Co-worker is on a vacation to Alaska right now. They went by RV. Before going he looked into taking a .44 mag in his RV through Canada on their way to Alaska. From what he found out, pistols of any kind are not permitted in canada if your coming in from the US. Quick way to go to jail.
If your going to fly up, I don't know what the regs would be if you didn't stop in Canada.

m.rehme

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've carried a .44 Mountain Pistol with 300 grain Buffalo Bore loads in mine when up there.
Had Grizzly tracks just a stones throw from the tent.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to fly up so getting the gun there should not be a problem. I have hunted bears in Canada once and flew up in a private plane and they searched it well looking for handguns. It got pretty interesting having a black bear climb the tree with me with only a bow in my hands...LOL. He came up behind me and I never saw him till the tree started to shake as he climbed up. It wasn't really that scary since the guide had told me they would probably do that. I have heard a lot of people say the .41 is a good bear gun for Alaska and that it is easier to control. I have never shot a .44 but don't mind the .41 at all. Maybe this will be an excuse for another pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom