All About Grain Bins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Great video!! My grandfather used to build red tile block silos.

Like so? Tons of them up here still standing.
20190709_202725.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The grain bins are all nice and all, but when one collapses, it is a major mess. I was a manager of a country grain elevator, which also had fuel, oil, grease, and fertilizer. The company added a 150,000 bushel metal grain bin next to the 150,000 bushel concrete grain elevator. We didn't know it at the time, but the builders used grade 5 bolts. Harvest came along and we filled the metal bin. That evening, I walked around it, turning on the aeration fans before quitting for the day. We had a little shower come through, which cooled things down a bit.

About 30 to 45 minutes after my walk around, we heard a noise and saw lights flickering while at supper. I went out to check things, and roughly 145,000 bushels had spilled out. It sheered bolts near the bottom, and the whole thing split apart with the roof of the bin dropping down on top of it all.

Afterwards, we had mice like you wouldn't believe, with led to the cats getting fat and also getting more snakes in the area.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're in the boot pit of an old grain elevator and turn the auger on, the whole place explodes with rats. They look pretty sad as they're getting sucked up and sent to the mill and the bakery.
I had thought the grasshopper parts were bad.

Afterwards, we had mice like you wouldn't believe, with led to the cats getting fat and also getting more snakes in the area.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking for a small one to repurpose as a chicken coop for my daughter. Found several but nobody wants to part with them...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking for a small one to repurpose as a chicken coop for my daughter. Found several but nobody wants to part with them...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just a thought, but I think the metal grain bins would be too hot for chickens. Our last one was an A-frame structure with a door, window, and shingles on the roof.

Latest posts

Top Bottom