Alright, alright, alright.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that if your vinyl tile is old enough the tile itself and/or the mastic used to put it down were loaded with asbestos. Typically fine if the floor was installed properly but you run the big risk of causing a huge problem when those tiles are removed. When removed they will typically break apart and scraping the hardened mastic cause large amounts of asbestos dust to release into the air and contaminate the house. If left intact not a problem. THis may be one reason the flooring guys said to leave it and will install new flooring over it due to them knowing this. Chances are they are not certified in asbestos abatement and couldn't legally do the removal.

Had this problem in our CA home and costs us about $5K to have an abatement company come out and remove all the flooring and mastic so we could lay down new wood flooring. House was tented around the doors for positive/negative pressure (don't remember which) and they had to wear special suits and respirators.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carpet is the debil. Esp. with animals around.
Yes the carpet is over 30 years old and we foster dogs for a rescue. Not as much as we did since our health started going bad but we have had dozens of dogs thru here in years past. Many of them with issues. We keep washable incontinence down behind the couch and most have learned to use those when we are asleep or gone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said previously, when they get there, go find a lawn chair in the shade and let them do their job.
We had ceramic tile removed by a crew that used an oscillating saw that quickly did the job.
The blade was different than what is shown as an example of what type of tool they used. They were a commercial flooring company.
1727319665449.png

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that if your vinyl tile is old enough the tile itself and/or the mastic used to put it down were loaded with asbestos. Typically fine if the floor was installed properly but you run the big risk of causing a huge problem when those tiles are removed. When removed they will typically break apart and scraping the hardened mastic cause large amounts of asbestos dust to release into the air and contaminate the house. If left intact not a problem. THis may be one reason the flooring guys said to leave it and will install new flooring over it due to them knowing this. Chances are they are not certified in asbestos abatement and couldn't legally do the removal.

Had this problem in our CA home and costs us about $5K to have an abatement company come out and remove all the flooring and mastic so we could lay down new wood flooring. House was tented around the doors for positive/negative pressure (don't remember which) and they had to wear special suits and respirators.
Funny. As a guy that has demolished and replaced a ridiculous amount of everything, this sounds funny to me. Maybe I'll die at some point but nothing in Ricks house scares me one bit. We're talking about probably less than 60 square feet of vinyl that doesn't even need to be removed. If you pull it up the glue and what gets on it is gonna be the real problem.

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny. As a guy that has demolished and replaced a ridiculous amount of everything, this sounds funny to me. Maybe I'll die at some point but nothing in Ricks house scares me one bit. We're talking about probably less than 60 square feet of vinyl that doesn't even need to be removed. If you pull it up the glue and what gets on it is gonna be the real problem.
Yep, if we're just talking the old glue down vinyl tile and they are floating some type of floor over it, it would be a mistake to try and pull the old vinyl, imo. Removing it would be a lot of unnecessary work and could end up making it harder on the guys donating their time to do the work in the first place.

My recommendation is to just stay out of their way.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not worried about what scares you or how much demo/replacement you done or if its funny. It's a fact there is this potential with asbestos in tiles and mastic. Not always a big deal dependent on size of area or your remodel plans but some people may not know and can make a better judgment on how they want to handle. Not sure why you have a problem with my post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom