Alright, I did it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She water bath canned them didn't she

She did. Old man water-bathed his green beans, too, before I met him. No ****ing way. I don't "do" home-canned stuff, for the most part. I was the one who got to clean up the bloody puke and feces she left all over the bathroom when she passed out. I was all of 10 years old. The damned grown-ups all got to go to the hospital with Grandma.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that what Tang is?

Annie that is an awesome machine to have , Congrats.!

I think Tang and freeze-dried ice cream are different things. I've read the ice cream is an acquired taste and not really like ice cream at all but have no clue.

I hope this thing will give me a chance to put up my extra eggs and want to try some chicken breast fillets in it. For starters ... hopefully I will have a good enough garden at least 3 seasons out of the year to keep me busy.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She did. Old man water-bathed his green beans, too, before I met him. No ****ing way. I don't "do" home-canned stuff, for the most part. I was the one who got to clean up the bloody puke and feces she left all over the bathroom when she passed out. I was all of 10 years old. The damned grown-ups all got to go to the hospital with Grandma.
Its just a matter of knowing when to pressure can and water bath can. But yeah, that don't sound fun

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watching this post - I've looked at the small one at least 5 times and nearly hit the purchase button. Please review / comment on your results.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have water canned many beans and never got sick I canned meat the pressure method though and never got sick.
2 families eating the stuff.

I am 49 years old and this is what i discovered when researching old cook books and instructions on how to can foods.

All the books and instructions or say 95% of them leave out the cooking times and some leave out the pressures.
Then those books say refer to the manual for correct time and pressures.
Almost like they are scared to tell you what time and pressures like you will sue them if you get it wrong.

Well I never had any literature to tell me. Never had a manual they speak of to refer to. I had to resort to the internet.
Even then it will not say it all. Like will a roast be more tender at 15 psi than at 10.
can i go 15 and 1 hour and 10 psi at 1.5 hours and get same results..Almost like witchcraft. It exists somewhere but people do not want to bring it out in the open .

Explain if you know the answers.

I make jelly and wine also.. never got sick from it. of course some of you know what i eat and feed my family.. so we may have rock guts like a buzzard.

I keep my pressure at 11psi or higher .. usually 12.5 to 15 psi and my caner has a gauge on it.
Not that rocking type that you need to keep whistling.

If you pick the 10 psi rocking type it needs to constantly whistle or you have dropped below 10 and you MUST start the count all over from the beginning.

I do not walk away for more than 3 minutes when pressure canning I need to watch the gauge.

I do now know do not try to rush the cooling of the canner.. just turn the heat off and walk away and let the pressure come down gradually as it cools off.
Especially for a roast or old Hen or rooster you decide to cook.
If you rapid cool it or pull the whistle off then the meat will contract back tight and you will still have a tough bird on your plate.

That is what i learned the hard way..Still have not got carp correct..I think I need to cook them in a jar like canning beef.
I only tried cooking under pressure and just toss one in the pot.
Fell apart like baby food and all the bones were still hard and pokie.
:)

I grind my carp in the food grinder 2X then make salmon patties from it..well Carp patties.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have water canned many beans and never got sick I canned meat the pressure method though and never got sick.
2 families eating the stuff.

I am 49 years old and this is what i discovered when researching old cook books and instructions on how to can foods.

All the books and instructions or say 95% of them leave out the cooking times and some leave out the pressures.
Then those books say refer to the manual for correct time and pressures.
Almost like they are scared to tell you what time and pressures like you will sue them if you get it wrong.

Well I never had any literature to tell me. Never had a manual they speak of to refer to. I had to resort to the internet.
Even then it will not say it all. Like will a roast be more tender at 15 psi than at 10.
can i go 15 and 1 hour and 10 psi at 1.5 hours and get same results..Almost like witchcraft. It exists somewhere but people do not want to bring it out in the open .

Explain if you know the answers.

I make jelly and wine also.. never got sick from it. of course some of you know what i eat and feed my family.. so we may have rock guts like a buzzard.

I keep my pressure at 11psi or higher .. usually 12.5 to 15 psi and my caner has a gauge on it.
Not that rocking type that you need to keep whistling.

If you pick the 10 psi rocking type it needs to constantly whistle or you have dropped below 10 and you MUST start the count all over from the beginning.

I do not walk away for more than 3 minutes when pressure canning I need to watch the gauge.

I do now know do not try to rush the cooling of the canner.. just turn the heat off and walk away and let the pressure come down gradually as it cools off.
Especially for a roast or old Hen or rooster you decide to cook.
If you rapid cool it or pull the whistle off then the meat will contract back tight and you will still have a tough bird on your plate.

That is what i learned the hard way..Still have not got carp correct..I think I need to cook them in a jar like canning beef.
I only tried cooking under pressure and just toss one in the pot.
Fell apart like baby food and all the bones were still hard and pokie.
:)

I grind my carp in the food grinder 2X then make salmon patties from it..well Carp patties.
Read away brother:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom