Aluminum Black - Birchwood Casey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any one have any experience messing around with this? It's supposed to be for "making aluminum black" like it says. Just wondering if it works on aluminum alloy too.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's worked great for me.

I have a Ruger SR1911 LW CMD in 9mm; the aluminum alloy frame is gray, the slide is a matte SS. I'd like to darken the frame some to make it strand out more from the lighter slide. What do you think? Is this stuff going to give me a blotchy look or do you think it will do what they say and just darken the color?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger SR1911 LW CMD in 9mm; the aluminum alloy frame is gray, the slide is a matte SS. I'd like to darken the frame some to make it strand out more from the lighter slide. What do you think? Is this stuff going to give me a blotchy look or do you think it will do what they say and just darken the color?

It wouldn't be even and since it already has a coating on it prob wouldn't stick st all. I'd recommend duracoat or ceracoat

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried it in the past. It's better than nothing but it's really "paint in a pen". It's not like a cold blue where a chemical reaction turns the metal a color. It can be hard to match colors and it will be hard to blend.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only mimic what they've said above. I have used the paint pen, but with limited results. It works great on small areas, but I've never got it to blend in perfectly.

I would recommend Cerakote over Duracoat, it's far more durable. The only thing Duracoat has going for it is the wide range of colors, but Cerakote is adding a lot more. In fact, I'd use a rattle can of Dupli-Color engine enamel over Duracoat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom