Aluminum Black - Birchwood Casey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prepare the firearms the same way, regardless of coating, and Dupli-Color engine enamel (baked on) has proven to be more durable for me than Duracoat.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems some are confusing the "paint pen" with the Aluminum Black in a bottle similar to their Perma Blue product. The Aluminum Black is a chemical process similar to cold bluing, and results in like manner depend a lot on preparation. It's essentially an acid which will lightly etch and darken aluminum - I use it regularly to touch up those little dings you get in AR receivers and parts and it generally turns out well. Not sure I'd try an entire gun, frame, receiver, etc. with it unless I felt like I was able to get them completely clean to the bare metal and had a container large enough and with enough solution to fully submerge them.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the days before powder coating, cerakote and duracoat. I was told by a guy working at Marlin they used Krylon semi flat black and put it under a heat lamp when redoing or touching up a customers gun. That's what I always did when refinishing aluminum parts (1970's-90's)
I'm sure there are many better items available today but I'll just stick with a $3.98 can of Krylon.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems some are confusing the "paint pen" with the Aluminum Black in a bottle similar to their Perma Blue product. The Aluminum Black is a chemical process similar to cold bluing, and results in like manner depend a lot on preparation. It's essentially an acid which will lightly etch and darken aluminum - I use it regularly to touch up those little dings you get in AR receivers and parts and it generally turns out well. Not sure I'd try an entire gun, frame, receiver, etc. with it unless I felt like I was able to get them completely clean to the bare metal and had a container large enough and with enough solution to fully submerge them.

You're right. I'm talking about the Birchwood Casey "Super Black" instant touch-up paint pen. I haven't tried the acid type yet.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The aluminum black is clear. You put it on and have to wait for the chemical reaction to occur. Again, I've had great results with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom