Amature Steel Targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a pro by any means, but I was given a good size piece of 3/8" scrap steel(no idea on its hardness) and decided to break out the cutting torch. The "round" ones are about 9" plates and the rectangle is roughly 10"x16" I have another rectangle that is about 14"x24"(has two diamond shaped orange targets one above the other) but it is WAY too heavy for the $10 Sheppard's hook hanger I bought at Lowe's. I may hang it from a tree with a chain, but haven't decided yet. The orange circles and square/diamond(not shown) are 4". Will likely be shooting .40 & .45 at these from a distance of at least 10yds(if not further). Should I attach something to the bottom of these to give them a cant or will they be fine? Thoughts, opinions, and criticisms welcomed. Besides filling up my Oxy/Acetylene tanks, I am $40 into the project(4 hangers from Lowe's). I would prefer better stands, but this was the cheapest/fastest way to get them hanging that I could think of......

IMG_20130708_173801.jpg

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should be fine for pistols. you'll get some splash back, safety glasses are your friend. Don't really need a cant to them unless they are mounted solid.

Have fun!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3/8" will last a little while with 40 and 45. I tried some with 1/4" that is a definite no go. Like rebel said be careful on the splash back. I shoot mine from about 10 to 15 yards with plated bullets and have heard chunks hit the side of the truck 20 feet behind me. I would pay extra attention to PPE when shooting jacketed bullets.

I also agree with Reddog about the house thing. That brick work looks rock solid but it won't hold up to day to day use.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately these are not for sale. If I get some more steel I would be inclined to sell some, but these are for personal use. As for the house, I figured I would just board up the window and everything would be fine.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom