Amature Steel Targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot at some thick steel last week with my 45acp and the bullets were coming back.
You could hear them WIZZZZZZ through the grass behind us.

Those were WHEEL WEIGHT water dropped 200gr lead bullets.
Most bullets that hit the target would go THUD.
Those hard wheel weights would ring the steel.

I had cast up a couple hundred like that before i found them too hard..
I still have some to shoot up ..

vearl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a pro by any means, but I was given a good size piece of 3/8" scrap steel(no idea on its hardness) and decided to break out the cutting torch. The "round" ones are about 9" plates and the rectangle is roughly 10"x16" I have another rectangle that is about 14"x24"(has two diamond shaped orange targets one above the other) but it is WAY too heavy for the $10 Sheppard's hook hanger I bought at Lowe's. I may hang it from a tree with a chain, but haven't decided yet. The orange circles and square/diamond(not shown) are 4". Will likely be shooting .40 & .45 at these from a distance of at least 10yds(if not further). Should I attach something to the bottom of these to give them a cant or will they be fine? Thoughts, opinions, and criticisms welcomed. Besides filling up my Oxy/Acetylene tanks, I am $40 into the project(4 hangers from Lowe's). I would prefer better stands, but this was the cheapest/fastest way to get them hanging that I could think of......

IMG_20130708_173801.jpg
HERE IS ONE THAT I MADE. 6 INCH 5/8 THICK STEEL GONG.
20171223_103534.jpg

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as minimizing splash back, you might want to take a look at an idea Shootingtargets7.com uses for hanging his steel targets. Supporting steel plates from bolts out the back side gives a natural offset hanging angle to help minimize splash back by tilting the flat angle slightly downward. I have not tried his rubber hangar mounts yet, but he is getting good reviews on them also.

In my opinion, for non-do-it-your-selfers his products are outstanding and his prices are pretty fair considering shipping and all involved.

His steel is tough. Let's just say I have miscalculated the distance for some of the caliber shots I have made and have been pleasantly surprised with the results of his very tough steel.

vearl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as minimizing splash back, you might want to take a look at an idea Shootingtargets7.com uses for hanging his steel targets. Supporting steel plates from bolts out the back side gives a natural offset hanging angle to help minimize splash back by tilting the flat angle slightly downward. I have not tried his rubber hangar mounts yet, but he is getting good reviews on them also.

In my opinion, for non-do-it-your-selfers his products are outstanding and his prices are pretty fair considering shipping and all involved.

His steel is tough. Let's just say I have miscalculated the distance for some of the caliber shots I have made and have been pleasantly surprised with the results of his very tough steel.

When I built mine I made allowance for the metal gong to angle down. No flash backs. Bullet hits the ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever seen an intact bullet after hitting a steel plate. They pretty much splatter, and come apart. We have three pieces of AR-500 steel at our 300 yard range next to each other. There is a 1" deep trench in front of them where the splatter hits and has created that trench even at that range.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever seen an intact bullet after hitting a steel plate. They pretty much splatter, and come apart. We have three pieces of AR-500 steel at our 300 yard range next to each other. There is a 1" deep trench in front of them where the splatter hits and has created that trench even at that range.
Same. My 5 chain-hung steel targets are all in a row and there's a nice trench just in front of them.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom