Ammo in car and heat...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can only happen after pop rocks and coke make your stomach explode.

Compared to water, that may be a good thing. I read in a National Geographic magazine years ago that water is a universal solvent. That is why drinking glasses get brittle over the years of use and shatter easily.

But, back to topic at hand, wouldn't ammo if heated enough just sort of fizzle? I've heard that unless it is in an enclosed place (think weapon chamber) it won't explode.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, i asked the guy doing reloading classes at H&H this question. Don - seems to know a lot.

He said that ammo could explose if over 140. the primer does not set the powder off but the powder "explodes" ?? and splits the casing. The bullet and primer don't have a barrel to travel down so in effect the bullet just seperates from the casing and lays there. sometimes the explosion is enough to drive the primer (unfired) as speeds that could hurt someone but we are talking breaking the skin not pentrating and killing them.

Now I am not saying I know any of this to be true. just repeating what Don said on the topic. Also the other class members agreed with this.

i have carried shotgun shells and pistol cartridges inside my truck for years w/o a problem.

31Bravo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone should put a few rounds in their oven and said it to 400 degrees and watch very carefully and observe at what temperature they go off.

MrBaldy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone should put a few rounds in their oven and said it to 400 degrees and watch very carefully and observe at what temperature they go off.

Mythbusters did this in episode 85 to see when it would cook off and what damage would be done. The even did it with a 50 bmg.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 140 is the magic number, the folks in the Middle East and Africa are gonna be in for a surprise. Temps are pushing in excess of 120 outside the vehicle/storage containers, and I'd venture a guess inside the vehicles/ovens over there it'll go above that pretty easily.

Would have thought we'd have a need to purchase "ammo coolers" if 140 was high enough to touch off the powder in our folks rounds over there.

PS Powder doesn't "explode", it burns. The rapidly increasing pressure caused by the gas during the burn cycle is what pushes out on the projectile and case.....not tryin' to be a smarta$$, it just comes naturally.....:hey3:

PS If you want a REALLY scientific discussion on this, then you may want to buy this white paper for formal resolution of your inquiry:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/109618266/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PS Powder doesn't "explode", it burns. The rapidly increasing pressure caused by the gas during the burn cycle is what pushes out on the projectile and case.....not tryin' to be a smarta$$, it just comes naturally.....:hey3:

Black powder, smokeless powder and primers do both: explode and burn. All three are classified as low explosives, meaning they deflagrate (burn). Deflagration is subsonic combustion, as opposed to detonation, which is supersonic combustion.

Wood deflagrates, C4 detonates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom