An afternoon with some Swedes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had some questions about Swedes and I am glad to answer any of them as best I can. Scandinavian countries took their firearms very seriously and still do today. Check out what Finland did with the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles, after all. Sweden was the same way; their arsenal processes kept the rifles running in absolute tip-top condition. There are scores of M96s that were imported with brand new, unfired barrels. If you have an M96 that is not stamped 1, 2, or 3 in the bore condition segment on the stock disc, your rifle was exported with a new barrel.

As far as ammo goes...it's gone. Prvi makes some decent brass-cased stuff that can be reloaded though it does tend to heat the barrel up a bit. If you shop right you can pick that stuff up for about $12\20 though the rifles will do better with handloads. I have all the stuff to do it, but haven't yet.

Here's the 3 models, other than the M41 which was basically a Rolex'd out M96 with a scope.

M94 - 17.7" barrel
M38 - 24" barrel (either by Husqvarna in the early 40s or modified existing M96s)
M96 - 29" barrel (early ones by Oberndorf in Germany then Gustafs in Sweden)

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_Swedes_Swedes2_1.jpg

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Flatwins. The gong is there, unless removed recently. My son had his sniper Swede at the club and we noticed someone had hung a 16 oz Mt Dew bottle in front of the gong on a string. Chris never hit the bottle but could make it swing a little. Guess he kicked it. Try it out and you'll have a ball of fun.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thems some nice guns. Did you redo the wood?

Thanks! Years ago someone had brushed a coat of varnish on the M94 stock. I was able to remove it with a thumbnail. After that I applied four coats of 50\50 boiled linseed oil and turpentine then three coats of 80\20. On the M96 I did a linseed oil scrub then followed with the same treatment as on the 94. Both stocks have some nice figuring on the walnut, especially the 96. The early ones made in Germany tended to have some really nice wood.

M94 before and after
i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_Swedes_IMG_0028.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_Swedes_photo12.jpg

The M96
i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_04035083.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! Years ago someone had brushed a coat of varnish on the M94 stock. I was able to remove it with a thumbnail. After that I applied four coats of 50\50 boiled linseed oil and turpentine then three coats of 80\20. On the M96 I did a linseed oil scrub then followed with the same treatment as on the 94. Both stocks have some nice figuring on the walnut, especially the 96. The early ones made in Germany tended to have some really nice wood.

That is indeed some nice figuring! I hadn't noticed it when I first saw your Swedes "before." Beautiful striping there :) Were you able to get the nose piece on your M94 to match the coloring of the rest of the metal, or did you leave it "as is"? I can't tell in the one pic.

Speaking of FSR M96's and M41B's; I'd need the latter to try and find that gong out at 800 yards. Never knew it was there :doh:

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_Misc_Trio_Swedes.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom