And so it begins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get your AR building kit? Does it include pin installing tools, wrenches and blocks?

Right now I'm piecing it together. I got my pin kit from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDRL2LX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just found an 60's era craftsman 3" bench vise that I talked him down to $50

What I have left to get is the vise block(s) and armorers wrench. Probably going with the Magpul wrench, still not sure on the blocks though but leaning towards the magpul one.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some of the Real Avid tools awhile back and was impressed with their designs. I picked this up on a whim I almost feel bad telling you about it if you haven't ever looked on your hands and knees for a detent or spring that went flying while muttering profanities under your breath. Then you will appreciate it even more.

As for tools if you need to go cheap. Lots of stuff on Ebay they have cheap blocks and armors wrench. The Magpul stuff is pricey but nice. Again I am really impressed with the stuff Real Avid has. I have picked up a few of their items and liked them. I would suggest quality brass punches for any person working on any type of guns. I have roll pin starters but don't use them much. You can put a lower together without any special tools other than the spanner wrench. All the special tools are supposed to make it easier. Then you find out there are hand tools that make things easier than pricey tools.

Last edited:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it was mentioned way earlier not to get a harbor freight vise. So I didn't. I found a Craftsman 506-51801 3.5" vise that I picked up for $50. Its in great shape minus a few surface rust spots. On the bottom it has 43 1/2 3A on it. From what I have gathered this is a Columbian just not sure of the year, but probably around mid 60's I think? Anyone know a resource where I can look this up? Thankfully the jaw blocks (proper name?) are in good shape, not scored, dented, pitted etc. Now to get it mounted tomorrow and put a little grease on the threads and surface areas that rub.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys keep posting and some of us tight-wads may get the urge. Both of you look like you know what you’re doing. Keep it up!
I just purchased my first AR after 30+ years of not carrying an M16 and I'm reaquainting myself with the bugger. I've watched some youtubes on building them. Larry Potterfield has a good series on the tools required and the application of them. I had a Springfield M1A for years but tough times had me selling it in the late 80's. I never thought about an AR for myself until Pelosi started spouting gun control.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some of the Real Avid tools awhile back and was impressed with their designs. I picked this up on a whim I almost feel bad telling you about it if you haven't ever looked on your hands and knees for a detent or spring that went flying while muttering profanities under your breath. Then you will appreciate it even more.

As for tools if you need to go cheap. Lots of stuff on Ebay they have cheap blocks and armors wrench. The Magpul stuff is pricey but nice. Again I am really impressed with the stuff Real Avid has. I have picked up a few of their items and liked them. I would suggest quality brass punches for any person working on any type of guns. I have roll pin starters but don't use them much. You can put a lower together without any special tools other than the spanner wrench. All the special tools are supposed to make it easier. Then you find out there are hand tools that make things easier than pricey tools.

Well I pulled a stupid last night and tried to put the pivot pin in without any tools, and yeah it happened. Finger slipped and detent went flying. Thankfully it was on carpet and I heard it hit behind me, so I was able to find it with a flashlight. So, gonna order that tool lol. I just had to try once, to see how hard it was. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom