animated 1911 dis-assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was really sweet!!

So I've got a question for the 1911 Gurus.

I'm waiting on my first 1911, it won't arrive till late July. When it does come, I need to know how "far" to tear it down for cleaning? I mean with sig/glock/etc you separate slide, spring, frame and barrel for a basic cleaning. Does this apply for 1911s also, or should it be more involved?

When I shoot mine, I remove the slide, recoil spring, and barrel. clean everything I can reach or get a patch into. About 6 times a year I tear the gun down to all it basic parts and clean the whole thing. You'd be amazed how much junk gets into the frame that you can't clean with a field strip. It's not a hard process, just intimadating the first time you do it. After the first time you'll get faster. I've done it so many times now, I can have a 1911 stripped to the basic parts in less than 5 minutes.

if you have questions you can goto the http://forum.m1911.org/there is a Maintinance and Gunsmithing sections that will answer all your questions

Latest posts

Top Bottom