Annual Storm Shelter Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moved into a new house this fall with a flatsafe storm shelter. I have cleaned it out, put some carpet remnant in there, and am gonna replace the existing carpeted wood steps/seats with a composite board as the carpet is coming off the poor quality wood and neither seem to do anything but attract and hold onto bugs and dirt. I'm also gonna cover with a large rubber mat over the safe to keep it clean when not in use as well. As far as stocking it, I think I need a quality LED lantern (open to suggestions), thinking a folding camp toilet as it will take less space (or put provisions in a bucket that can double as one), first aid kit, water, rations, and there is already a come-a-long in there. Am I missing anything? What do ya'll keep or recommend having in there?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bucket with cedar chips in the bottom and a bag to cover the waste in layers works amazing.
My shelter is also the wine cellar, so I've got that part covered.
If I'm gonna die in there, I will be happy getting there.
We have a combo flashlight, that has a crank generator built in to recharge the flashlight batteries, and also power an AM radio, as well as a usb port to recharge electronic devices.
We also keep those rechargeable battery packs that power the electronics when batteries get low.
Our shelter is registered with the county emergency response team, so they will come check on us after a major storm in the area.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wine a little, it will make anything better.
www.sanluisobispo.com_latest_news_6c60db_picture38594352_alternates_LANDSCAPE_1140_mpwIx.So.76.jpeg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread. Reminded me it's time to take a look at mine. I usually have to vacuum a bunch of dead bugs and a frog or two after the winter LOL.

I have a 5 gallon bucket in mine with a few supplies. With modern storm tracking...we ain't going to be in it all night (unless we get stuck, but it's registered and we live in town). Gloves, first aid kit, some bottles of water and a multitool along with a trash bag with a bit of cat litter in it in case someone can't hold it!

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh good GOD, we could LIVE in our shelter for a month. Lol

Like SMS there, I need to vacuum it out. That rubber mat over the door is a good idea. I'm gonna measure and see if I can find one that will fit. Amazon, here I come! :blush:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thinking a folding camp toilet as it will take less space (or put provisions in a bucket that can double as one)

Bucket with cedar chips in the bottom and a bag to cover the waste in layers works amazing.

How long do you fellas plan on spending the the cellar? Must make it awkward if the neighbors pop over..

Don't forget a big cardboard box..

VnZepKp.jpg

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get your dogs into and out of the shelter? I have 2 fat boxers and it is NOT easy to get them to go down or up stairs, especially in a stressful moment like when I'd need to be in the shelter.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have little round push-on / push-off led lights that stick to the frame with magnets (from Lowe's), a camping tent fan w/ light that hangs from the roof by magnet to help move air cause it gets pretty stuffy in there when loaded with people. Also little handheld fans with foam rubber blades for the grandkids to each have one (to play with), led lanterns, water, protein bars, first aid kit, flashlights, midland combo flashlight - weather radio - strobe light, electronic dog whistle, a 5 gal bucket with a snap on toilet lid from cabelas, cat liter for the bucket, and a bed sheet to hold up for privacy if ever needed. Cell phones go with us with portable charger, and last but not least the G19 on my hip (ammo is already there). Ours is also GPS registered with the city. Ours also has a come-along that came with the shelter.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/rel...2.uts?WT.ac=RI-1716922&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1723735

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00168XMD...t=&hvlocphy=9026243&hvtargid=pla-272554032220

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...y3AuVLs9-_LAH9hVBkZWjwuLEV63fscRoCbroQAvD_BwE

Latest posts

Top Bottom