Annual Storm Shelter Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I hadn't thought about actually training them to go down there. I was actually thinking about getting a piece of plywood to use as a slide. With me on the outside and the side on the inside, I figured I'd just give them a boost and let them slide down.
For us one person in the hole, and one on the outside with one hand on the scruff of the neck and the other under the butt to hand them down. They are no longer spring chickens.
They don't like going up and down the steps to our RV and the cellar steps are much steeper.

LinearZero

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get your dogs into and out of the shelter? I have 2 fat boxers and it is NOT easy to get them to go down or up stairs, especially in a stressful moment like when I'd need to be in the shelter.
last house had an underground, and I just practiced a routine with the kids about who goes first down the ladder. Oldest would stand at the bottom and my wife and I would squat over the entrance and run relay into the storm shelter. In the Navy we had small ramps that were hinged on each side where the hand rails bolted to the ladder, you could fold them down (each half width of the stair) to make it smooth. You could fashion this from plywood and just slide them down too
This house: above ground all the way!!!

LinearZero

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
new additions to our storm shelter this year:
Old office battery backup. Charge it up and leave it off. Plug in an extension cord for a few minutes every other week or so just to keep it topped off. That way you can have standard 120v power delivery for cell phones, lights, or whatever. May not be worth buying explicitly, but I replaced one previously and put it in.
Ear plugs.
Fan. 6 people in mine gets a bit stale pretty quick.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Navy we had small ramps that were hinged on each side where the hand rails bolted to the ladder, you could fold them down (each half width of the stair) to make it smooth. You could fashion this from plywood and just slide them down too
I REALLY like this idea. I may have to look into doing something like this. Thanks.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy a magnetic cover from Smart Safe I think it was, but they are well over $100. For mine, I only need about 27in x 72in. Amazon will run around 40-50 bucks for one, but Lowes has some stuff they will cut to length, its 36in wide, and will run be about $20 for a 7 ft piece.

You have a link to or where in the store Lowe's has this, is it magnetic as well??

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a safe room, in it I have an old toy box that doubles as a seat. In the storm season I store my battery powered sawzall in it along with a battery powered fan and spot light. They are all made by ryobi and use the same battery, I also keep my charging dock with six batteries in there. There is also a 10/22 Takedown, a crow bar, air horn, case of water and snacks that we rotate out regularly for the kids lunches. I plan on putting a few magnets on the ceiling to store a few more guns as well. I also plan on getting some large ammo cans to stack and use for storage and seating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom