Another let down by the Supreme Court

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very disappointing. I had hoped what I thought was a conservative majority would have heard this. Looks like they were in the minority.
I don’t trust trumps picks. So far they haven’t made any difference. Combo that with Trump “urging” them to not hear cases and we have no chance. The courts have way too much power. It’s a joke.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NYC changed their gun laws to do an end around that forced the SC to not consider it the way I read it.

"The Court concluded that New York City’s change of its ordinance made the case moot, meaning it no longer presented a live “case or controversy” for the Court to decide."
The SC has very strict rules about what they can and cannot consider.

Short answer, it ain't Trumps Fault.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even before they made their decision, I knew the SC would pass on this one. The suit was brought up in New York and when it started into the process of being appealed, not heard in the first courts, and New York changed the law, it was a moot case before it even got there. But what RickN and jcelt said about the judges still issuing a dissenting opinion clearly says that the SC would have treated it differently had NY left the law as it was originally written.

In fact, I don't remember any other cases where such a dissent was issued upon a case considered moot. This could actually be a ground-breaking moment.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NYC changed their gun laws to do an end around that forced the SC to not consider it the way I read it.

"The Court concluded that New York City’s change of its ordinance made the case moot, meaning it no longer presented a live “case or controversy” for the Court to decide."
The SC has very strict rules about what they can and cannot consider.

Short answer, it ain't Trumps Fault.
Even before they made their decision, I knew the SC would pass on this one. The suit was brought up in New York and when it started into the process of being appealed, not heard in the first courts, and New York changed the law, it was a moot case before it even got there. But what RickN and jcelt said about the judges still issuing a dissenting opinion clearly says that the SC would have treated it differently had NY left the law as it was originally written.

In fact, I don't remember any other cases where such a dissent was issued upon a case considered moot. This could actually be a ground-breaking moment.
I agree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom