Another mass shooting in Indianapolis at a fedex facility.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have people committing shooting incidents, and much of the time the family and/or friends have voiced concerns in the past, often involving LEO. Should those individuals have had access to firearms? Should everyone have access to firearms until they kill someone or themselves? How could any of the "well known" incidents have been prevented?

I don't have answers to any of those questions, just wondering out loud...

But, I think we all agree that "mass shootings" are not acceptable.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have people committing shooting incidents, and much of the time the family and/or friends have voiced concerns in the past, often involving LEO. Should those individuals have had access to firearms? Should everyone have access to firearms until they kill someone or themselves? How could any of the "well known" incidents have been prevented?

I don't have answers to any of those questions, just wondering out loud...

I don't think there is a way to proactively take guns away from someone without violating their rights. We can't take a basic right from someone for what they might do.
We can maybe find a way to put more due process in the procedure (not sure what that might be), but it would still be finding someone guilty before they did the act.

At this point I think the best way is for people to be willing to take responsibility for their own safety, whether that means carrying a weapon, or just being more aware.

What pisses me off is the attitude that gov should keep us absolutely safe where ever we go.
Reality deniers.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Society is not satisfied with an "acceptable" number of shooting deaths, and there seems to be multiple definitions of the word "infringed".

The process of actually amending the Constitution is rightly, a very difficult and time consuming endeavor, so I do not believe that 2A will go away, but there will continue to be attempts to change regs to fit the current political climate. Our role has to be constant awareness of potential legislation (support OK2A for example) and stay involved in the political races where we have standing.

There will be changes from time to time, but we can help mold those changes. But please, no more 2A auditors. That just adds fuel to their fire.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red flag is a tough one. I think everyone agrees crazy people shouldn't have guns. The mechanism to prevent it is obviously the problem. And as is usually the case, the slippery slope it puts us on. So a shrink flags someone and they are barred from buying a gun at a dealer. That process has to happen pretty quick or it won't do much good, right? So prevent the purchase immediately and then set a court date in the future a few weeks or months to determine if it was legitimate?

What's to stop the crazy from buying from an individual? Universal background as part of it too?

Can crazy ex wives or girlfriends flag too?

Would these flags look kind of like third party protective orders?

I have way more questions than answers obviously. I just can't think of a process that I believe would work without a lot of legal teeth. And a lot of unintended consequences.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Society is not satisfied with an "acceptable" number of shooting deaths, and there seems to be multiple definitions of the word "infringed".

While probably true I think society is satisfied with acceptable deaths and risks for just about any other aspect of their lives. As long as it's something they enjoy or agree is worth the risk.

For whatever reason I think folks fully understand the risks associated with texting and driving but people do it all day every time they get behind the wheel because they're addicted to their freaking phones. They have the attitude that it can't happen to them.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should there be legislation to prevent this? It's a great idea, but the 1st amendment and freedom of the press comes into play so that can't happen.

What if I argued that the founding fathers never could've fathomed the concept of radio, television, or Internet, so those forms of media shouldnt be protected by the 1st Amendment?

Yes, Im being cheeky.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone can't be trusted with firearms, they shouldn't be loose in society anyway.

A gun is just a tool. There are many tools that can be used to commit murder and mayhem, including (especially?) motor vehicles.

If running down pedestrians becomes a fad, it could make shooting fatalities seem relatively insignificant.
:drunk2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The process of actually amending the Constitution is rightly, a very difficult and time consuming endeavor, so I do not believe that 2A will go away, but there will continue to be attempts to change regs to fit the current political climate. Our role has to be constant awareness of potential legislation (support OK2A for example) and stay involved in the political races where we have standing.

There will be changes from time to time, but we can help mold those changes. But please, no more 2A auditors. That just adds fuel to their fire.

Agreed, but look guys, there will be some form of red flag law passed just so the Dimocrats can say they are fighting mass shootings. There will also be attempts to ban "assault weapons" and large magazines. We as gun owners have to shape the laws to suit us and fight against those we can not. I would rather people with serious, violent mental issues be confined and not allowed weapons than all of us lose our right to own firearms. That is what will happen if WE do not shape the laws and attack every chance we get.

I know some of you are proud you are not on Facistbook or Twitter. You maybe give a little money to the NRA or GOA and think you are fighting hard for your rights. Guess what guys, you are not. I fight! One of the first things I posted on FB after I saw this latest mass murderer had a mental history was something like "Oh look, another crazy got a gun! The laws failed again!" When ever one of these mass murderers has a mental history I post it shared public. Same if they passed the background check and got the gun legally before shooting. "Look, the government failed to enforce the existing gun laws yet again."

I see a judge let out early someone with a history of using guns in crime, I post that. Same if a DA refuses to press charges or goes light on a criminal using a gun. We have to make the public aware because all they hear are the anti-gunners. Be loud! Raise hell! Lead the debate and help set common sense laws, not this crap the anti-gunners are pushing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom