• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Oklahoma City (Withdrawn) Antique Marlin Ballards F/S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good choice if not loaded hot and shooting cast. Those were cast rather than forged receivers. I’ve seen some chamber or rebarrel for larger cartridges and that is not a good ides with a cast receiver.
I wish to buy it. A bit on the weighty side, but handles nice. It was someone's favorite at one time.

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Chris… and a good Idea about the Tulsa show.

They say every picture tells a story. I think this of the Wagon is from 1886. There is a Ballard hanging from the wagon stays and the younger man has one standing at his side. This picture has me holding on to my roughest Ballard in 45-70. Plus it shoots well.

The picture collage from the Quigley tells another story… and not of me bragging either. Just me showing the fun I had with these old Ballards. I consider myself Blessed for the six years of competition I got before I discovered my eye condition. I got a late start and had no idea I was working against a clock back then. So just grateful for the fun I had.
Those are some great pics! Over on the ASSRA forum there is a huge following for the Ballards and Rolling blocks. I confess that I had never really looked at them and don’t know the history of them. I’m a Sharps and Win1885 guy myself and have several of each, lots of fun to shoot and trying to figure out what they will shoot well. Looks like you have that old Ballard figured out by the looks of the target!!!

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Those are some great pics! Over on the ASSRA forum there is a huge following for the Ballards and Rolling blocks. I confess that I had never really looked at them and don’t know the history of them. I’m a Sharps and Win1885 guy myself and have several of each, lots of fun to shoot and trying to figure out what they will shoot well. Looks like you have that old Ballard figured out by the looks of the target!!!
I’ve had the Sharps and Rolling Block. Never did acquire the 1885 but I really like them.

ASSRA is where I planned to advertise next. Looks like “shipping is in my future. I used to be more active and collaborated with a few there on mold and chamber designs when I was competing. Lot of good knowledge there and a lot of guys that are part machinist/part shooter.

Once I have two “collector” pieces in hand I’ll close this and get serious about selling these.

I never had any engraved originals like these two. That is what I have my eye on now. One is a Rigby and the other has a Pope barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_4277.jpeg
    IMG_4277.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4271.jpeg
    IMG_4271.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Stock-Left.jpeg
    4 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Stock-Left.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Receiver-Left.jpeg
    8 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Receiver-Left.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • 9 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Receiver-Top.jpeg
    9 Six and a half Rigby 38-50 Everlasting Receiver-Top.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow! those are incredible ! Beautiful Wood to!! I got an original Sharps off ASSRA earlier this year, Was looking for a Sharps receiver for a barrel I have and fellow in Kansas contacted me that he had an original he was going to sale if I was interested. I've always wanted an original one I could shoot and this one is one of 15 sold to the New York Central Schuetzen Corps in 1878, It's listed by serial number in the Sharps Firearms Vol III. I couldn't turn it down and he agreed to meet me half way so I could look at it first. Its 40-90 BN, I've only got to shoot it one afternoon so far but will fix that soon! It was missing the original German style schuetzen tang sight that was on it from the factory and last night I won the auction for one on Ebay that very well could be my missing one due to the number on it. So was pretty stoked about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom