Any boat people in here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new project. 1st action item is replacing all the carpet. I believe structurally, it's in great shape, but it does need the carpet.
I've started pulling things apart to replace the carpet, clean up the wiring and replace anything that's not working.

Does anyone have a recommendation for trolling motor batteries? It has a 12 volt, 55 lbs thrust trolling motor, but plan to run 2 batteries in series. I will have a third battery for starting, lights and other ancillaries.

IMG_0149.JPG

I started pulling the decks and lids apart. I also need some ideas on marine adhesive removal. Anything magical out there to get this old carpet glue off?
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Laquer thinner or other thinners maybe mineral spirits for glue.. Usually faster and less messy to sand it.
I wish I did not use carpet in my bayliner.
I fish a lot and the slime coat on fish on carpet is terrible.

I wish I painted the thing like a carolina skiff.
http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/...ke=carolina skiff&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

But if ya like carpet.
Get batteries with good warranties. I have seen regular car batteries last 7 years in a boat.
Seen deep cycle batteries die a sudden death.. mostly deep cycles that I see fail.
I quit using them. and went with the best warranty automotive battery.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The newish, LIPo batteries appear to have good deep discharge and recharge capability. Also smaller and lighter than conventional lead acid batteries. May still be a bit spendy but depends on how often you have to replace "normal" batteries.

No LiPo are not the same at Li which have been making the news re:spontaneous combustion.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the batteries. I will look at automotive batteries. I've been focused on researching the deep cycles only.

I've used a wire brush on an angle grinder on the metal lids and that worked good with knocking off the heavy stuff, but it left a thin layer glue. I tried acetone and that didn't seem to do much with removing the glue. I'll try the thinner and mineral spirits.

I've thought a little about other coatings but the decks are plywood. The skiff is fiberglass and I wouldn't put carpet in that.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The newish, LIPo batteries appear to have good deep discharge and recharge capability. Also smaller and lighter than conventional lead acid batteries. May still be a bit spendy but depends on how often you have to replace "normal" batteries.

No LiPo are not the same at Li which have been making the news re:spontaneous combustion.

Do you have a link? The first one I pulled up was $900 for a deep cycle. It had a 3 year warranty, but was rated at 3000-5000 cycles.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good discussion of the more nuanced points of charging, capacity and use of the LiFePO4 batteries. Based in a "Trawler" setting but interesting none the less.

Look for TFMKevin's posts.

These batteries are also getting used in off grid applications with sucess. As everything, its a cost vs benefit question. A couple of years ago the default was AGM's by Dekta but the technology advances and costs reduce.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/board-power-made-easy-28564.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom