Any coin collectors here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what (if anything) some coins are worth? I have some Kennedy Halves from 1965 and 1967, Some Eisenhower dollars from1971 and 1974, some quarters from 1934,1940 and 1945. also some from 1965,79 and 80. also bicentiniel quarters and halves? any help would be appriciated. Oh yea, What about wheat pennies? what should I look for in one that is rare? Thanks

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The silver on the content on the pre 1965 quarters and all of the Kennedy halves makes them worth quite a bit more than their face value.

Sell them here in the classifieds and you can get spot melt value or just a little below. You'll get more privately than a store will ever come close to giving you.

The bicentennials aren't worth anything unless they are silver proof ones.

The Ikes unless they are silver are face value only.

The wheats are likely not rare and worth a few cents up to at the most a dime each if you're lucky. Most stores will only give you 3 cents each unless you have a rare one.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call Don's coins and stamps 31st and Yale. I'd think the 90% silver would bring about 30 times face ($1 = $30) but I haven't purchased any lately. The halves are 40% and they're hard to sell to most people due to the volume but they should bring around 5 bucks each. I'd hang on to them silver should be over 50 here again before the end of the year IMO.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not much of a collector, but what little I know...condition, condition, condition,

1st. Look up the dates of what you have to get a general idea of what their worth. Your's could be in better or worse condition that what you think they are. This in turn could affect the value.

2. Go to coin shows and several different collectors. You need several opinions to get an idea of what you have (condition) and what its worth. By worth I have found out...what its worth and sometimes what you get are a little different in price.

3. Never...never....I mean never polish your coins. You do not want to rub off any patina, nor take of any micro-scopic layer, nor do any damage to them. This will ruin the condition...have i mentioned condition enough??!!

4. If you have to clean them talk to several collectors, read articles, look on the internet and see what is recommended.

What little I have in a collection is the entire Indian Head collection, including the Flying Eagles of the set.

Flying Eagle:
coin-CW21-1857-flying-eagle-s.JPG

Indian Head:
indian-head-penny-1908.jpg

I eventually want and will get a three legged buffalo nickel....a real one. You have to be EXTREMELY careful when collecting certain coins that can be faked!! ***** If you really want to get into it, become as knowledgeable as you can!! There's nothing worse than paying a lot of money on an item, that wasn't worth what you payed!!!!*****

Three legged Buffalo:
2009514_1937DBuffalo3legRev2.jpg

The one coin I hold the highest in value (to me)is the dime Pretty Boy Floyd gave my Great Uncle. When my Great Uncle was a kid, his family had saved enough money( to just spend on fun,most to all of their money went back into farming) to go to town-Meeker, and buy some ice cream at the soda fountain for his birthday.
Pretty Boy Floyed rolled into town and went inside the pharmacy/soda fountain for a cup of coffee. My Uncle was sitting on a stool by the cash register eating ice cream with his mom and dad(My Great Grandfather/Grandmother). EVERYONE knew who Pretty Boy Floyd was and were staring at him with fear and amazement. PBF-went to pay for his cup of coffee and looked down at my Uncle and asked him"What are you staring at"?? My Uncle replied "Your PBF, my hero"!!! PBF-grinned ear to ear and then asked my Uncle what was the special occasion. My Uncle told him it was his birthday and PBF reached into his pocket and gave my Uncle a dime. My Uncle kept that dime wrapped in a handkerchief, placed it in the pie-safe, and would only take it out on the 4th of July to show the family and tell the story. He never kept it in his pocket-he didn't want the condition of the dime to deteriorate!!! Condition, condition, condition.

Cohiba

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neat stroy Cohiba,, I like hearing the history of coins. I have an 1886 Morgan That just amazes me the number of hands it has probly change and the stories that coin could tell.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome story Cohiba! I collect a little too. I havent seriously started on the Indians yet but have all the years of the flying eagles except the 56.

Cohiba is right about the condition. NEVER clean a coin. My advice is for you to go to a book store and buy a copy of Yeomans Red Book. The title is "The Official Red Book" "A Guide Book Of United States Coins" by R.S Yeoman. They publish a new book every year.

One more bit of advice, coins can be almost as addicting as guns! Have fun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom