any dove hunters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hunt lined up with a guide over by Tulsa somewhere but my brother did all the work and I just have to pay for myself. I am looking forward to it. Got invited to go today to a good place down by Cushing and may try there on the first weekend. I'll give a report after the hunt.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not been dove hunting in several years due to football season and coaching. This year I am not coaching football so I need to get out and do some dove hunting. Thing is I have been away from it so long I don't have a shotgun or even an idea of where would be a good place to go. I hate the idea of paying for a shoot but I hate to waste the oppurtunity that I have this year too.

I guess step one would be getting a shotty and hitting some clays pigeons soon LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not been dove hunting in several years due to football season and coaching. This year I am not coaching football so I need to get out and do some dove hunting. Thing is I have been away from it so long I don't have a shotgun or even an idea of where would be a good place to go. I hate the idea of paying for a shoot but I hate to waste the oppurtunity that I have this year too.

I guess step one would be getting a shotty and hitting some clays pigeons soon LOL.
shoot sporting clays or skeet, not trap. I love trap, but the discipline will hurt your wing shooting.

I don't know if they are going to do it this year, but the ODW in the past has leased land in the OKC and Tulsa areas for dove hunting.
Check on public lands like Kaw lake that normally has good dove hunting on the north end of the lake in the Beaver Creek areas. Contact the area biologist that is in each area that works for the ODW. They are paid to give you information on the areas they are in charge of. I have found them to be really useful.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Starting to see more birds trickle in. They plant the field up the road from me with something they like and it already has quite a few birds on the wires when I drive by.

I have pretty much lost interest in really trying to go after doves with seriousness because I am in harcore deer season prep mode by then. I often am hanging stands, brushhogging, cutting wood, etc. on opening weekend.

I might try and pick a few off for a meal as they are flying from the field up the road though. That is what I did last year.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shoot sporting clays or skeet, not trap. I love trap, but the discipline will hurt your wing shooting.

I don't know if they are going to do it this year, but the ODW in the past has leased land in the OKC and Tulsa areas for dove hunting.
Check on public lands like Kaw lake that normally has good dove hunting on the north end of the lake in the Beaver Creek areas. Contact the area biologist that is in each area that works for the ODW. They are paid to give you information on the areas they are in charge of. I have found them to be really useful.

that's a great tip, I will give it a shot. I know there have been several people say they don't like to pay for a hunt but we do one each year, bunch of guys from work get together and go. some of the fields these guides have leased are phenomenal. our trip last year almost everyone was limited out within an hour. I am looking for other areas that I can hunt without a guide but dove hunting is hit and miss. our office trip does a lot for team building as well. everybody comes back happy with stories to share and we look forward to the trip next year.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted with Curt's Guide Service twice last year and was very pleased. He put us on a ton of birds, if only I could shoot straight. I wont say how many boxes...err...shells I went through to limit out.

thanks for the info, I am looking forward to meeting curt and blasting some doves. have you only dove hunted with curt or have you used him for anything else, his web site says he is a walleye guide too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom