any dove hunters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dove hunts usually turn into a contest with myself to see how many boxes of shells I can go through without hitting a thing.

You and I support the ammo industry:D Its a noble cause:D

I bet I can beat both of you at the "notbeingabletohitadamnthing" thing. Very few people can shoot as bad as I do. One time I got into them good and shot 4 boxes of shells and had a whopping 9 birds when my shoulder couldn't take any more. :hyper:

I swear they can dodge your shots...

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from my friend's land in Kingfisher and saw more doves flying around in the few hours I was there then I think I've ever seen there in the last couple of years. Stupid things were flushing like quail out of the grass and trees, they were like gnats just everywhere.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying Curts, but I just can't get past paying for a dove hunt.

Since I'm pretty much public land only hunting I know it would really be cheaper when you count up the cost of scouting, but scouting is half the adventure. Of course I have alot of scouting to do so I may not be saying that come opening day.

Either way I'm ready for it. Its like a kick off to the hunting season.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying Curts, but I just can't get past paying for a dove hunt.

Since I'm pretty much public land only hunting I know it would really be cheaper when you count up the cost of scouting, but scouting is half the adventure. Of course I have alot of scouting to do so I may not be saying that come opening day.

Either way I'm ready for it. Its like a kick off to the hunting season.

I hear the same thing from one of the guys at work. he refuses to pay a fee to hunt. I look at it this way. would you pay for a lease to have land to hunt on, I would. so its like a short term lease, and by the way he provides decoys and mojo dove, does all the scouting ahead of time arranges for access to the land. all for what I would say is a reasonable fee. I wont pay for a $1000.00 plus dear hunt even some of the duck hunts are over priced. so the only thing I have ever paid for is dove. I pay for one trip a year and then go on my own at least a couple of times. just my 2 cents

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I read that the national average on dove is 1 1/2 boxes of shells per bird. Shotshell manufacturers make a fortune during dove season:D
That's about my speed right there.

I just got back from my friend's land in Kingfisher and saw more doves flying around in the few hours I was there then I think I've ever seen there in the last couple of years. Stupid things were flushing like quail out of the grass and trees, they were like gnats just everywhere.

I have been "on them" to the tune of not being able to keep your gun loaded and having to stop shooting and let your gun cool down. Would like to see some more of those days too.:gun2:

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been "on them" to the tune of not being able to keep your gun loaded and having to stop shooting and let your gun cool down. Would like to see some more of those days too.:gun2:
Its been like that a couple times in Arizona when I was a kid. It was no big deal to have hundreds of birds in the cooler by the end of the weekend.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for me last two years have been bad. three years ago it was great.

i have been paying for a lease for about past 10 years. $100 for the season. has worked for me because i have not had to use my gas and time to scout.

seems like if a cold front or rain comes thru the week before opening day, if mornings go into the 60s, then the dove move out.

i really hope this year is good. nothing i like better that a great opening day.

a note to every one-- be safe. seems like people are getting careless and shooting low instead of letting the bird get high so i hope everyone is safe and enjoys the day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom