Any Garand guys out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dualsportrider66

Marksman
Reaction score
Bought a garand out of private sale and im paying for it. First enblock in and squeeze and fires, next trigger pull wasn't as productive as it didnt chamber. Cycles brass but wint pick up the next guy. Read a lot over the last few days and im really hoping it isn't the expensive part or parts i think it is being the gas cylinder or op rod tip. After stripping the gas system i found the poppet was fouled pretty heavily and could be the source of my issue but dont yve the opportunity to check it yet. Any imput or direction would be appreciated,
With gratitude, Tyler

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theory it that its out of spec. Its about as old as the receiver as for as i see. The op rods well past post war but the gas cylinder is late war.

The age of the gas cylinder will have little bearing on whether or not it is in spec. I would look at other issues first. Completely strip the rifle and give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication. Especially the gas plug if it as heavily fouled as you are saying. Also make sure that the gas plug is tightened properly. If it is a post-war plug (not a single slot) you can use a 1/4" socket extension to tighten the plug. You will also need to make sure your op rod spring looks to be in good condition...this would be the first part that I would consider replacing if a simple cleaning and lubrication doesn't help.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely strip her down, soak it all in mineral spirits and then clean, lube/grease everything. Reassemble and try again.

What type of ammo?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the right ammo makes a difference, the wrong ammo can mess up the op rod.
do not take the bends and kinks out of the op rod. they are there for a reason.

Kennydale

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.defensivecarry.com_forum_members_kennydale_albums_funny_picture87342_de2.jpg

Had a fun day shooting my friends 1943 Garand with his Army Surplus Ammo (Sorry couldn't pick off that DRONE !)

Latest posts

Top Bottom