Any Glock People Actually like the Smith and Wesson M&P?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's the 2.0 being a better design or if they are just making them better these days. My early 1.0 Shield had a terrible trigger, over 7lbs, IIRC. Gunbuffer totally fixed that issue before he retired to the Tibetan monastery. A few years later I bought another 1.0 for the wife and the trigger in it needs nothing done to it. It's drastically better than my older one was and pretty nice out of the box. About 1000 rounds later it's even better than it was and while not equal to the work Gunbuffer did it's close enough. Either way it's good to hear that they've improved them.

There have been a few updates even in the Gen 1s. And like most other guns they are inconsistent. The performance center ones seemed to have a different sear. There was a different slide stop and trigger bar in later years.
I have three 2.0s. Two compacts and a full size. All were better than the factory Gen 1s, but still inconsistent. The worst compact got a Apex DCAE and it is the best now. But the stock compact is great. The full size is stock with a set of Ameriglos on it. I held my own pretty well against all the Rowland’s, optics, and other modified guns in a Vicker’s class when I had to move to it as a backup because of a front sight issue with my primary.

But the inconsistency gun to gun is there regardless of brand. I had three G5 Glock 17s that had entirely different triggers. And they were consecutively numbered. Another pair of CN G17 RTF2s that were different. A pair of CN G4 22Cs same etc. The only two I have that felt the same are my CN G44s. And I’ve seen it in other brands also.

I don’t have much experience with the 2.0 shields although I classify my Shield 45 as a 2.0. I only replaced the striker block on it to make me happy with it. My 1.0 Shield has a full Apex with a aluminum trigger and it is great. I have a few GB worked and they are awesome. I carry one off and on and it has seen over 25k rounds in training and competition. My favorite go-to gun.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only M&P for years was the .40 1.0 5" pro that was used in USPSA matches. After a conversion to the Apex trigger, it has ran without fail for several years with many competitions behind it. I had some issues at one match but it was ammo related as I had reloaded some rounds shorter OAL because another pistol like them that way and forgot to reset the seating die for the match loads.
When they were doing the close out for the 1.0's and offering incentives, picked up a 4.5" for a truck pistol in 9mm. The trigger really sucks but it was so cheap that it couldn't be passed up. I'll get the apex trigger for it and use it for it's intended purpose.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Update

got my full size M&P today. The pistol fits my hand better than a Glock. Trigger is junk though. Will need to have some range time with it then it will probably be a dedicated night stand gun.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update

got my full size M&P today. The pistol fits my hand better than a Glock. Trigger is junk though. Will need to have some range time with it then it will probably be a dedicated night stand gun.

Get the Apex Duty / Carry Action Enhancement Kit. It’s fairly simple to install and will fix that trigger. The gun might then become your favorite.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot a Glock 9mm in qualification many times and I've also shot Glock .40 S&W and .45 acp. I really enjoy shooting the Glock and will argue with anyone that it is a very fine pistol. That's coming from an old school wheel gun guy and a lover of all steel semi auto's, 1911's in particular. When it came to purchasing a polymer framed, high capacity semi auto pistol I chose a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. I know one of the big gripes about M&P's is the trigger. I never thought it was that bad but there's always room for improvement. So I had an Apex trigger and a re-set assist mechanism installed. Wouldn't trade that for anything. I don't know if it is the sights, the ergonomics, the finish or what but I'm sold on M&P. I later purchased a S&W M&P 2.0, 3.5" .40 S&W (yes I like .40 cal.). The factory trigger on this 2.0 is better than my original M&P9. I haven't replaced it with an Apex trigger .....yet. For me Glocks are good but M&P's are better.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just switched from M&Ps (had 4 full size, 1 compact) to Glocks earlier this year. Loved the M&P but shoot a Glock better. So did my daughter. Maybe its the polygonal barrel or maybe the grip angle but I get MUCH tighter groups with a glock than a M&P. @ 7 yards I was getting 4-5in groups firing single hand rapid fire. I didnt come close to that with my M&Ps

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot a Glock 9mm in qualification many times and I've also shot Glock .40 S&W and .45 acp. I really enjoy shooting the Glock and will argue with anyone that it is a very fine pistol. That's coming from an old school wheel gun guy and a lover of all steel semi auto's, 1911's in particular. When it came to purchasing a polymer framed, high capacity semi auto pistol I chose a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. I know one of the big gripes about M&P's is the trigger. I never thought it was that bad but there's always room for improvement. So I had an Apex trigger and a re-set assist mechanism installed. Wouldn't trade that for anything. I don't know if it is the sights, the ergonomics, the finish or what but I'm sold on M&P. I later purchased a S&W M&P 2.0, 3.5" .40 S&W (yes I like .40 cal.). The factory trigger on this 2.0 is better than my original M&P9. I haven't replaced it with an Apex trigger .....yet. For me Glocks are good but M&P's are better.

M&P’s are my favorite as well. .40 is my caliber of choice.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently acquired a shield in 9mm. Haven’t shot it yet. And going to be getting a full size M&P in 9mm later this week.

Any Glock guys actually like these? I have 4 Glocks so the M&P is gonna be different to me.

Long time Glock user. Got an M&P and campaigned it for a year in competition. We never gelled despite having one of the best triggers you could imagine.

So I'm back to Glocks, except my wife and I both have 9mm Shields. Can't say anything bad about them and frankly, they're both more accurate than the full size M&P .40 I had.