Any survival cooks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im talkin bout primative cooking with minimal ingrediants. Condiment packs, bullion cubes, oats, rice, flat breads.

How long do bullion cubes last in a sandwich bag. Same with flour, cornmeal, condiment packs.

Thoughts, comments welcome.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had boulllion cubes in a Ziplock for over a year with no issue or degredation. Keep them dry and you are OK. Invest in a vaccum sealer for the rest of those items. They will last 5+ years. An old backpacker trick is to take boullion cubes to suck on while hiking. The sodium helps retain moisture, and is nutrional energy boost while hiking. You have to get used to it for the first couple of times, it is pretty rough, but it does work.

Flour keeps well, makes a good gravy base. Pick up honey packets when you are at KFC or Chik Fil A, great non spoiling sweetner. Ramen noodles are quick and easy. Rehydrate jerky, and cheese powder with tortillas pack well, and make a good trail burrito. Refried bean flakes are great to pack also.

Look for trail foods, such as wild onions and potatoes for soup additions. Mustard plant is good to put in a stew for flavoring. MRE peanut butter packs are a must. Any fast food place you go to look for Hot Sauce, Mustard, Ketchup, Honey, Peanut Butter, Jellies, even salt and pepper. Look at anything dehydrated, like milk, pancake batter that is just add water, dehydrated eggs.

Check out a Bakepacker, and you can cook brownies, cakes, and pizza on the trail. A little bulky, but is not heavy. Sits inside your cook pot and works like a heat exchanger. I have made all of these, cooked biscuts and gravy with mine, as well as breakfast casseroles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom