Any way to make my GP100 trigger like my LCR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up this GP100 for a really good deal the other day and the trigger is (to put it nicely) not great... The LCR however is an amazing trigger pull. Is there anyway to make my LCR like this? Anyone know any good gun smiths?
FHD0056.JPG

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 7500 dry fire cycles and a Wilson Combat spring kit should get you close. As A bonus you'll also get a strong trigger finger in the deal! :D

+1 on the dry fire cycling. The GP/SP revolver design is really sound but the internals can be rough, hence they respond well to gunsmith trigger jobs. You can get much of the same benefit for free by simply dry firing (and/or live firing) the snot out of the gun. Well broken in GPs can be surprisingly sweet.

I'm not adamantly opposed to lightening springs on centerfire Ruger wheelguns (unlike rimfires -- bad news). But save that intervention until after trying something less intrusive.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the dry fire cycling. The GP/SP revolver design is really sound but the internals can be rough, hence they respond well to gunsmith trigger jobs. You can get much of the same benefit for free by simply dry firing (and/or live firing) the snot out of the gun. Well broken in GPs can be surprisingly sweet.

I'm not adamantly opposed to lightening springs on centerfire Ruger wheelguns (unlike rimfires -- bad news). But save that intervention until after trying something less intrusive.
I think I will go with a new spring pack. Dont want to change anything too much. The gun is from the early 90s so I would hope its been dry fired a lot but maybe not. Ive found used guns arent all that used. I didnt pay much so paying someone to put a spring pack in may be worth it.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The GP100 is a very easy gun to work on. A flat head screw driver, a dinner fork, a paperclip and a plastic baggy is all that's needed to totally disassemble the gun. Changing the hammer spring to a #12 will just need 2 of the above items and improve it quite a bit. Watch some vids on u tube. Dry firing is ok, I've went both routes and cleaning up a few areas inside and changing the spring will get you there A LOT faster.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GP100 is a very easy gun to work on. A flat head screw driver, a dinner fork, a paperclip and a plastic baggy is all that's needed to totally disassemble the gun. Changing the hammer spring to a #12 will just need 2 of the above items and improve it quite a bit. Watch some vids on u tube. Dry firing is ok, I've went both routes and cleaning up a few areas inside and changing the spring will get you there A LOT faster.
The gun is 25+ years old I'm pretty sure it's received all the dry fire improvement it could get. Then again the last owner may of not shot it much I'll look into the spring packs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom