Anybody shot the 15gr 17WSM Lead Free Winchester ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is news to me but it appears its been out for a while.

3300fps from a rimfire...holy smokes.

"Winchester’s new 17 WSM ammunition features a Zinc-cored, polymer-tipped 15-grain bullet with 0.118 G1 BC. The ammo is rated at a speedy 3300 FPS velocity. Winchester says that the zinc core and “thin alloy jacket with engineered sidewall profile” deliver “explosive fragmentation.”

Testing according to youtube got .5005 MOA from a Heavy Barrel Bmag

I'm running low on my standard 20gr 17wsm and may have to track down and stock up on this stuff for Pdogs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Franklin used to have a blow back system that didn't work as well as expected, but have recently upgraded to a piston system to keep everything cleaner, and looking at some of the reviews, they were getting pretty small groups at 200 yds which I'd think would be about max effective range for a 15 grain bullet.
I don't own one, so just going off what I'm reading.
What kind of groups are you getting with your Bmag?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Franklin offers one but it's hella expensive and less accurate than the $350 Bmag.
I keep wanting to "upgrade" my Bmag...but it does everything well, and cheap!
I wanna upgrade mine too! Volquartsen is out of my price range. I MIGHT get the Ruger. My Savage shoots good but there's things I just don't like about it.

In regards to the 15gr ammo, I just noticed it a couple weeks ago at Midway. I meant to ask if you had tried it but it slipped my mind since. I know @Okie4570 has a 17wsm. Maybe he's tried it.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Franklin used to have a blow back system that didn't work as well as expected, but have recently upgraded to a piston system to keep everything cleaner, and looking at some of the reviews, they were getting pretty small groups at 200 yds which I'd think would be about max effective range for a 15 grain bullet.
I don't own one, so just going off what I'm reading.
What kind of groups are you getting with your Bmag?
Here's 10 shots at 100yds with mine Dennis.
IMG_1856.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's 10 shots at 100yds with mine Dennis.
View attachment 136034
I don't see any complaints with that! Good shooting!
I have a savage .17 HMR that has a stainless bull barrel with a forest green laminated stock that just won't shoot, and it's the trigger. Mine came out before the accu trigger was a standard installation. Probably one of the most horrible triggers I've ever experienced. I can buy an aftermarket trigger but it would cost more than the gun did when bought new so it languishes in the gun safe.
Haven't looked at triggers in a couple of years, so maybe there might be something out there now.

27f648115161e02433eec52149e55451.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom