Anyone cashed their cache yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking into caching a few of the basics and specialty items that aren't so desirable to carry. Has anyone (Dennisshotty?) successfully cached anything and retrieved to ensure that you achieved a proper seal? I'm thinking pounds of salt, sandbags, tents, tools, fire aids, fishing gear, medical gear, clothing, etc.

Post your prefferred cache method and how you constructed your container

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing beats PVC pipe and screw on ends.
Even some of the 12" diameter sewer pipe where the ends have to be glue'd on can be used for big/long items. Cut or break the pipe for access.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably depends on how it's packaged. I've ate home canned green beans kept in a cool basement that was 3 years old.
The old civil defense food stuffs were cycled every 10 years.
I'd sure look at getting a vacuum sealer to bag everything before stuffing it into a bigger container.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This might be a sensitive question so please feel free to offer a GTFO but just curious how you guys stashing caches are deploying them? Is it just around your property in case the house/builing gets raided or at some remote bugout location? Or have you gone to the extent of having several predetirmained paths which way points with a small cache buried that you could pick up to support your movement to your bugout site or some other spot?

In the interest of fairness, the thing that keeps me up wondering about a bugout plan is getting into a shouting match with Russia. I feel like for most other scenarios, we are setup to bugin for a decent amount of time which would cover sever weather up to an epedemic requiring people to stay at home. But if tinker gets hit, at 20miles or so miles away, I'm good for the first impacts. Fallout is a function of the wind that day which I note every morning. If it drifts away from here, I'll probably bug in and hunker down for the city's exodus and hope we are out of the way enough not to be over run. So I've got a couple ways of thinking about this.

First Scenario. a bugin.
Honestly, I would probably gather neighbors and help setup a low profile triage for those that do come through. I do want to help the folks who will be shellshocked to half blown apart and barely moving. This does two things. it builds allies and a force of people you know can help keep command of the local situation. Some of them can help defend the site and others can do work like care for the sick and wounded as well as keep the site functioning. Those first hours will look like a scaled up version of the moore tornado effort in the first minutes/hours where many people will either be looking for help or offering it. Fighting, looting, etc won't come until the shock wares off and the reality sets it when people realize that only have what's in front of them. But again, assuming no radiological danger, get the wounded stasblished, get your chain of command established, and get your relief efforts underway. Start forming teams to scout for information, supplies, help/trade from other near by groups. Take a moment to figure out who is good at what and assign duties. Listen to what your people are telling you and pick from it what you need to act. Make sure you work to show every one respect, give them responsbilities, and above all, let them know when **** roles down hill, it rolls from you at the top.

If dumbasses start getting dumb, protect your group. Lay them down and deal with their remains respectfully. People can argue, shout, and get upset.. After all, their's just been a nuclear war. That's understandable. They are welcome to leave. If this person was a threat to your group of sick and injured folks and your number on responsibility is to protect themr. This will be the rare exception but could be a sad reality of your new existance. Your interactions with most will be neighborly. ving them a responsibility to work through a task and get something useful. They will be the best workers you have and also among the loyalist.

So a little long winded but was hoping to describe a scenario and ask for input on caching and perserving if the above were true.

Now scenario is one where I've got to move. I don't know where. Probably south east if fallout patterns are favorible. In this case, I'm opposite of above. I am part of the heard. Out here, I'm armed to the teeth and I'm watching everybody. Worst case, you are stuck on a slammed highway full of every scared/wounded person living in 50 miles and you are going to have to get away from it. If caught in this situation where you can move with vehicle, it would be nice to get your group away from the immediate chaos and having a cache of supplies every so many miles would be awesome. Stay ouf of site, move quickly unless you are just surrounded on all sides by freaked out people at which point you look for a place away from the heard to hole up a few days. Hopefully you had a stash as well as a decent supply in your bug out bag. Sit tight, wait for things to pass, and move on. What you move on into will be the most dangerous you've ever seen but stay low, be generous, and get away from it to your bugout site and blackberry wine over a fire watching the rest of the world burn in the distance! Years later when the new society arises, and it will, be a part of it. Help mold it. Lead it to the way you think it should be because that's the next future.

Anyway after all that... Does anyone cache along a route to a bugout location and if so, what? How? No worries if too personal, just curious.

Last edited:

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah too much! I'm at a place that would bug in awesome as long as I don't get overrun or blown around by fallout. But if I do have to go, I don't have a specific destination and if I did, I'm thinking it would be awesome to have cache along the patch to resupply off of and move on if on foot. All kinds of variables mess my calculus up like wintertime expedition to an unknown condition site. Cool to think about tho! I'm curious about everyone else's thoughts tho (scenarios and how caches would be used).

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Speaking for myself only:
I do not plan for specific caches. My caches are generic and are more or less to strategically place items that I cant/don't preffer to carry. I don't intend to bury firearms as I hold onto them too tightly. Cache items for me are large tents, tools, bulk salt, clothes, oils, long-term water purification, and sand bags to name a few. I think that there are many scenerios in which you may be forced away from everyday living. As for me there are simply too many to plan for one specific scenerio, therefore at this point in time I'll just focus on sustaining life for me and my loved ones

Latest posts

Top Bottom