Anyone else have family that oppose CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It didn't take long, two weeks I think...I was with family members last night trying to install a BlueRay player for the older family members without the proper cables.
Well, apparently I exposed my piece. Low and behold, three hours later I get an email stating that I shouldn't be carrying around the family -
in quite a few more words. I have my own response formulated, but what does everyone else think?

Security Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My husband and I go with the motto of carrying wherever we are even at other family members houses. Of course you know your family better than anyone here. You'll find the right things to say. It helps with us that all of our family members including extended family, know that we both have our CCL. Only having had it two weeks, maybe all of your family didn't know yet. We also don't try to keep it secret from our family members. You might be. In which case as I said earlier, you know your family best! Say what you think they need to hear.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some work to do educating your family about how you are not a threat. And that guns don't just go off by themselves while in holsters.

When I was growing up, my mom was always a little of scared of guns. She wasn't anti-gun or terrified of them, but didn't personally like them much because of the "intimidation" factor to her. She always knew that if left alone nothing bad was gonna happen.

Now days there is one in every room. She still doesn't want much to do with them, but I think she'd grab one in a heart beat if she needed to. My step dad is retired LEO and carries everywhere. :D

Good luck...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family (other than my wife) is very much against me carrying concealed. Fortunately, they have never noticed.

I'm not sure how long I'll be allowed to live after my mom finds out I carry at church every Sunday.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My husband and I go with the motto of carrying wherever we are even at other family members houses. Of course you know your family better than anyone here. You'll find the right things to say. It helps with us that all of our family members including extended family, know that we both have our CCL. Only having had it two weeks, maybe all of your family didn't know yet. We also don't try to keep it secret from our family members. You might be. In which case as I said earlier, you know your family best! Say what you think they need to hear.

Actually, they all knew when we got them, they asked to see the license. The particular family member that wrote me the email sat and told me how much he would like to get his CCL. I just don't understand the change of heart.

My family (other than my wife) is very much against me carrying concealed. Fortunately, they have never noticed.

I'm not sure how long I'll be allowed to live after my mom finds out I carry at church every Sunday.

Funny. My mom is a little nervous about it as well.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

+1

My dad flips out when he finds a magazine in a gun, even if the chamber is empty. "I Don't Like Loaded Guns In My House!" He doesn't like me carrying at all, even though he went with me and got his CCL at the same time as me. He also believes that there's no need for semi-auto pistols. "In most gun fights, you only need one shot. If you need more..........you shouldn't be there in the first place." Of course he also thinks anything gun related (grips, stocks, scopes, etc) should be registered and sold through a FFL. "It would cut down on a lot of these shootings if we made it harder for people to get them."

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was ex LEO,career Marine DI and MP and my mom and stepdad both have their permits. My younger brother carries. My older brother is a martial arts instructor,vegetarian,Zen Buddhist freak and doesnt carry or understand those who do. I dont visit often. My sisters are both California vegan liberal tree huggers who are fighting against gun rights. Hope when all the world goes to hell they dont expect me to come and protect them. Enough said about those 2 nuts.

My wifes Okie father is a CC holder and avid hunter,lifetime NRA member, as well as her brother. Only problem with her side is her youngest brother committed suicide a couple of years ago in a motel in Weatherford. Her mother does not want a gun near her. I respect her in her home and leave it in the car when there. I dont understand people who dont respect others views. I see no reason to even need it while in their home anyways. No one there is threatening enough to me to have to be packing anyways. Her dads are all in the garage away from her mom.

My neighbors are all cool and most are all gun fanatics.

My musician friends dont pack but know I do and its not a problem.

My other friends are split between my gun nut budds I shoot with and my regular best friends who dont carry. Being a good sized fella and a martial arts and boxing practioner most dont understand why I do carry. They just dont get it and its not my place to explain how ****ed up the world is to them.

My wife likes to shoot,has her permit ,and carries. Her co-workers are split between CC and those who understand but dont. Her boss carries as well as most of the male employees.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personnally I'd tell them to screw off if it was my house, they don't have to come over. If it was their house I'd just tell them that I carry, get over it or I just won't be back over. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1

My dad flips out when he finds a magazine in a gun, even if the chamber is empty. "I Don't Like Loaded Guns In My House!" He doesn't like me carrying at all, even though he went with me and got his CCL at the same time as me. He also believes that there's no need for semi-auto pistols. "In most gun fights, you only need one shot. If you need more..........you shouldn't be there in the first place." Of course he also thinks anything gun related (grips, stocks, scopes, etc) should be registered and sold through a FFL. "It would cut down on a lot of these shootings if we made it harder for people to get them."

WTF, over!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personnally I'd tell them to screw off if it was my house, they don't have to come over. If it was their house I'd just tell them that I carry, get over it or I just won't be back over. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

That's pretty much the way it is with us. Wifes grandma went to move her purse in the floorboard of her car when they went shopping. Grandma exclaims about how heavy the purse is. Springfield and 2 spare mags adds a little weight to a purse... I was working under a cabinet for her grandpa and mys shirt pulled up, he noticed my CCW. They were told get over it, they are irritating at best of times.

My side of the family has no issues, well my mom might but other than grandmas funeral 2 years ago I hadn't seen or talked with her in 18 years, I suspect It'll be even longer this time round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom