Anyone fish Roaring River?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had another post about fishing on the lower illinois and it looks like that is going to be pretty tough for a while. I have been looking at Roaring River on the internet. Does anyone fish this area? Thanks.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to go to Roaring River Missouri as a kid and young adult. It is/was a trout hatchery and was a lot of fun to fish. I believe it was the Jame(s) River. The park has several miles of river that were good fishing. Some of the river is very thin, causing the water to flow very fast, those areas were always the funnest for me as a kid. It's where I learned to use a fly rod about 45 years ago!

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of my buddies have been having fun down at Blue River in south central Oklahoma and have really enjoyed it. My son-in-law goes to Cassville Missouri every year for the last 15 years. I think it might be the same area you are talking about 'Roaring River'. When I have seen photos, it looks like people are 20 feet apart from each other and trying to use fly rods. Not my idea of what fly fishing should be.
10560419_10204665620223579_6726003929091306737_o.jpg

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several of my buddies have been having fun down at Blue River in south central Oklahoma and have really enjoyed it. My son-in-law goes to Cassville Missouri every year for the last 15 years. I think it might be the same area you are talking about 'Roaring River'. When I have seen photos, it looks like people are 20 feet apart from each other and trying to use fly rods. Not my idea of what fly fishing should be. ...

Yes, that is where Roaring River is, just a few miles from Cassville. The time of the year you go makes a big difference in the number of people on that stream. If you will walk/drive a little farther away from the hatchery and the main lodge that is there, the crowds thin out rather quickly, and you may only see 1 or 2 other fishermen in your 150 yard stretch of the stream. The stream is very winding because of the terrain. I have never been to the Blue River so I can't really give an honest comparison to it.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a weekend several years ago fishing at Roaring River. We camped out in the National Forest nearby instead of the campground. The main pools are pretty much ultra light with spoons or powerbait. They post numbers every day on how many fish they release and how many are "Lunkers". Down stream it opens up to heritage waters, catch and release that attracts most of the fly fishers.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's basically captive fishing in a theme park. Scratches the itch, but it gets very busy on the weekends and you'll be fishing with a bunch of people standing next to you.

The Blue is a far more "authentic" experience, especially up on the catch and release stretch.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Several of my buddies have been having fun down at Blue River in south central Oklahoma and have really enjoyed it. My son-in-law goes to Cassville Missouri every year for the last 15 years. I think it might be the same area you are talking about 'Roaring River'. When I have seen photos, it looks like people are 20 feet apart from each other and trying to use fly rods. Not my idea of what fly fishing should be.
10560419_10204665620223579_6726003929091306737_o.jpg
That looks like some where I will avoid like the plague!!

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Roaring river is the closest area to me and I am able to fish during the week so that might help. I will probably check it out but I appreciate the other suggestions. I have never fished the Blue so I will put that on my list. I am familiar with the LMF but it is pretty busy also. Thanks again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Roaring river is the closest area to me and I am able to fish during the week so that might help. I will probably check it out but I appreciate the other suggestions. I have never fished the Blue so I will put that on my list. I am familiar with the LMF but it is pretty busy also. Thanks again.
My Grandpa made the trip to Roaring River every year. As was stated in earlier posts, get away from where the crowd is and go downstream. I was kind of shocked at how many people were in the upper part, but if they had to walk aways down stream, they thinned out pretty quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom