Anyone here shoot Sporting Clays? (OKC AREA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll go shoot with you if you ever come to okc. I'm no expert but I've taken a class with one of Oklahomas greatest clay shooters. I could pass on the tips I've learned.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot sporting clays, but I'd like to give it a try. Always something I wanted to do. Advice on getting started?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
if you guys put this together, i will try my darndest to be there. i shoot skeet now but shot SC for years before changing over. have not shot SC in 20 years.
put a new high comb on my benelli m2, can't wait to try it out

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sporting clays was designed to be more of a hunting simulation vs skeet and trap. Its an interesting sport. If Silver leaf was closer, I'd probably be bankrupt by now. I love it.
There is a person out of Tulsa I believe it is that will come to your land or range and set up a sporting clay course.
One of our members uses him as a fund raiser every year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll go shoot with you if you ever come to okc. I'm no expert but I've taken a class with one of Oklahomas greatest clay shooters. I could pass on the tips I've learned.

I don't know about the one in South OKC, but Silverleaf can be pretty busy with corporate events, etc. on weekends.
If one wants to shoot sporting clays, you need to check with the facilities before hand to see if you can schedule a time they have open.
Its generally not a walk-in and shoot. You need appointments.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've never shot sporting clays, but I'd like to give it a try. Always something I wanted to do. Advice on getting started?

I started out with a cheap pump 12ga. but quickly learned an O/U that fits you well is the best option for me.

Here's some important aspects without going into too much detail..

1.) Shoot a gun that fits you.
2.) Consistent mount.
3.) Never look at your bead or "front sight". Remove it if possible.
5.)find a hold point and break point on each stage
6.) FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS
7.)AMMO: 7 1/2, 8, 9 shot. 7 1/2 is best for rabbits, I generally just carry 8's for fun. 1145fps light target are good.

Last edited:

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know about the one in South OKC, but Silverleaf can be pretty busy with corporate events, etc. on weekends.
If one wants to shoot sporting clays, you need to check with the facilities before hand to see if you can schedule a time they have open.
Its generally not a walk-in and shoot. You need appointments.

Silverleaf is only open to public sat-sun. I prefer quail ridge, they have events now and then but nothing too crazy. I like the staff at QR too. Good people

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Depending on the weather, maybe we can get together sometime in January to shoot. I'm unsure if we'll have another mild winter again or something snowy.. well see

Latest posts

Top Bottom