Anyone interested in an AR build-party?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try and make it, if nothing else I'd like to learn how to put one together. Thanks in advance to all you guys willing to share your experience and knowledge.

I need to build a 6.5 grendel but I'm thinking it'll be easier to buy a complete upper and just mate it with a 5.56 lower (which I already have). Not sure how much $$ I'd save buy piecing together an upper?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build Tip : If you are running a Rail/HG that uses a standard barrel nut....... You May want to pick up a couple barrel nuts, from diff. manuf.... Reason - threading and timing of the gas tube slot and TORQUE. Your torquing 30-80 FT-Lbs, if your ONE barrel nut only gets you to mid slot, you will go beyond most likely even after loosening and tightning a few times.

Granted - many may say who cares etc.........but its just a Rec. to try different ones. Then again, if enough folks show up you could prolly swap around.

If needed/wanted - I will send a mess of Moly Grease to the Fearless Leader of the event.....

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up an Anderson lower at FBT along with a lower mag well vise block last week. I'm going to start picking up the parts as I can afford to do so. Thanks for the tip, Wolf44! I'm looking at starting with a 5.56 and then adding a .300 AAC Blackout upper at a later time.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been accumulating parts for a few years now and have enough parts to build several rifles but have yet to build one. Have only one hand guard because I haven't decided which I wanted for each build. I have most of the tools needed and even have the vice block steel rod http://www.midwayusa.com/product/444133/geissele-reaction-rod-ar-15-vise-block-steel I could bring. I think the 17th would work for me and would love to learn some tricks from the experienced.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that reaction rod is nice. I don't have one, it should be fun to play with. Definitely bring that! I've got a YHM jam nut wrench in addition to the regular AR armorer's tool, tons of punches and hex/torx wrenches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom