Anyone remember old Tulsa restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since our Fearless Leader, Mr. JB brought up the Stables lounge, that made me thing of the Stables and the Stables Lounge 2nd edition. JB did not depict whether he was referring to the world known Stables Lounge Rock and Roll Joint or the Stables lounge, world known strip joint. Because I am an old guy, I started thinking about both and they started to merge together with Ron's Playgirl lounge, the Keg on 11th street, and the joint I can not remember the name of at 4th and Memorial, P J's Club at 41 and Peoria, and the Brass Rail where a friend took me into and a lady dancer by the name of Patti Ann caused me to drink my first beer. Damn that has cost me a lot of money as I am sitting here and sipping on my 9th beer of the evening. She did know what was good for me.

This post and thoughts brought up things from 40 years ago in my mind of Tulsa night spots of things I had totally forgotten about.

I know the OP of this thread was relating to the uniqueness of the phone ordering system at Ma Bells to order your food which I have done, and I do not want to take away from that uniqueness, however --- --- Here is a old memory that will be unique to the ones that had ever seen it, you will know.

In the early days before strip joints they were basically called Go-Go joints. The ladies danced with very skimpy costumes but there were small spots that had to be covered, no differential in color was allowed, so depending on the individual lady, it depicted how she was formed, that depicted how big the covering had to be. The cover could protrude, but all had to be one color, and usually had tassels. Some lady's were very adapt at putting on a show with them, twirling in unique directions with the music.

My question is does anyone here remember this? If you ever saw it, you will remember.

There was a joint on North Sheridan called The Brass Rail. There was a lady there that took a different approach to "keeping covered". She used a bed sheet.

During a whole set of songs she could flip it up, down sideways, in, out, everything to the music dragging over her stuff making impressions very visible (not illegal as long as was "covered")
She really put on a show, without showing you anything, but you wanted to see more and you would sit and drink waiting for her turn to come around again just in case of a malfunction. It never happened while I was watching.

Were any of you there?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember going there back in the '60s, and to the barbershop just to the east of it. Now I really feel old......
How about when the Principal of East Central High School drove up to the front of "Cottons Pool Hall" next door where the barber shop was located in his red 64 Chevrolet during an assembly? It was a good thing the back door was open, we would have taken out the back wall.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about when the Principal of East Central High School drove up to the front of "Cottons Pool Hall" next door where the barber shop was located in his red 64 Chevrolet during an assembly? It was a good thing the back door was open, we would have taken out the back wall.

E.C., pool hall, know anybody named Vire?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
E.C., pool hall, know anybody named Vire?
Not placing right off, I was 65. Where where you?

Cant remember the older gray haired gentleman name that managed the place for cotton. I am sure he is no longer with us. Taught me to play snooker. When I first hit the bar pool tables, the pockets seemed a foot wide. If you want to learn to play pool well, learn snooker first.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not placing right off, I was 65. Where where you?

Cant remember the older gray haired gentleman name that managed the place for cotton. I am sure he is no longer with us. Taught me to play snooker. When I first hit the bar pool tables, the pockets seemed a foot wide. If you want to learn to play pool well, learn snooker first.

I wasn't there, one of my bils and his older brother were. 65 is a little earlier than the oldest though, thinking he'd been around 70. They were both car and pool guys.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right next door to Saigon Sally's.

I liked Saigon Sally's when we shot pool league there against them. The booze was cheap and the strippers hanging out in front of the stables were fun to look at.

Now as to Cottons, in the early 90's I lived in a rental in the neighborhood behind Vegas Club. Loved that 2.99 breakfast special. Food was good there.

I didnt live here back in the good old days of Tulsa or OKC but my wife is a native Tulsan and we talk about all the stuff gone now plus Ive visited both cities almost my entire life and I remember alot of everything mentioned so far, as well as alot of other stuff when I was here. When I turned 18 though it was mostly the bars because I played in bands but also bars that had foosball, and the bars that had girls.

I played in Saturday foosball tournaments at Saigon Sallys a few times. This tall blonde stripper/dominitrix or whatever she was ran the tournaments.

A friend was a DJ at the Stables for a bit.

Cottons. Went there many times back in the day after being at the Jungle all night playing foosball or after playing in crappy bands at Windjammers or The Hustle.

I remember the club Whiskers. We could get in some foosball while waiting to play on stage while playing in some really crappy metal bands.

Used to play foosball at Sigi Grimms (an old friend) place at 15th and Memorial- he sold cars there too; the skateboard park across the street at 16th and Memorial; played tournaments at the old and new Billiards Palaces and then way back in the day there were tournaments during the week upstairs at the big 'disco', 20th Century. We played at tons of other places all over Tulsa, it was big then. Tulsa even hosted a World Championship foosball tournament once early 80s at the Camelot Hotel.

I remember when the Crystal Pistol was a cowboy bar just a block from 244 on the northside of Sheriden, alot of the pro rodeo'rs hung out there. These days theres a downtown bar called Crystal Pistol but its mainly a place to hear metal and punk bands now.

I am not a very big country and western fan but I sure liked buying Budd long necks 2 for .99 on Friday nights at Tulsa City Limits. My brother is a beer alco so we went there alot.

The night I turned 18 a door man made me wait til it was midnight til he let me in at The Pearly Gates. It was 11:45pm. Later we ended up at the 'combat zone' of strip clubs on 21St right by 169, across the street from KMart. Seems like there were several strip clubs there all in a row- 'Temperatures Rising'?

A good old buddy of mine started Cloud Nine club. He and his family ran many other clubs and bars over the years.

19 yrs old in a nice suit and my little niece pukes on me at a family dinner at The Celebrity Club.

Those same front doors at all the different locations of Diamond Jacks. She recently closed the last one up on the hill on Yale and my wife has been dying from not getting her Rueben fix. No other place will do she says.

I totally understand when something you have loved all your life and it becomes an institution, then suddenly it is never there again. My kids wont even go to the fair now because theyre still pissed about Bells being gone. My dad used to sell the Bells the white paint they painted Zingo with.

(RIDESHY? Was it real, or a legend? Ever call it? We did. Just for fun and giggles drinking. Didnt turn out like 'Risky Business' tho. But it for sure was real...).

Last edited:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Windjammer and The Hustle, 2 of my old haunts, I miss the getladium errr I mean Palladium, (if you couldn't pick up some tail there you were in serious trouble), and Caravan rock 'n roll club. I wish I still had some old Caravan t-shirts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom